oil pump vs. fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

So broke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
should i see oil down in the valve cover oil cap hole? it looked dry as help. and any way to test the oil pump besides removing it?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
should i see oil down in the valve cover oil cap hole? it looked dry as help. and any way to test the oil pump besides removing it?

Yes there should! It should be covered in oil after the engine has ran.

You can check the pump buy just pulling a valve cover and starting the engine. You should have oil shooting out of your push rods.

So broke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone known what oil pump and screen i should get? part numbers please.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
anyone known what oil pump and screen i should get? part numbers please.

Just go to any parts store website like rock auto or oreileys and search for the pump to fit your model. They all show a part number.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

So broke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i pulled the valve cover and it was bone dry. i turned it over and it was no oil coming out.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when youve added oil and then had it start what was the oil level? if youve run it that low that you loose oil pressure and then keep starting it and its not getting oil you may as well pull that boat anchor and rebuild or replace it. now on the other hand if the oil level was proper and the pressure was fluctuating i would change out the sending unit to eliminate that as a cause, its cheap. whenever ive seen one go bad it just dies completely though, not work on and off, so i would check the wiring for shorts or bad connections.

So broke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
when youve added oil and then had it start what was the oil level? if youve run it that low that you loose oil pressure and then keep starting it and its not getting oil you may as well pull that boat anchor and rebuild or replace it. now on the other hand if the oil level was proper and the pressure was fluctuating i would change out the sending unit to eliminate that as a cause, its cheap. whenever ive seen one go bad it just dies completely though, not work on and off, so i would check the wiring for shorts or bad connections.

the sending unit has been replaced. usually when i add oil it comes back up to where it should be and when i put oil in i have never seen it as dry as this.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well, disconnect your coil wire so it cant start and put a drain pan under it, take your oil filter off and crank it over and see if if pumps the oil out, haha. or the much less messy way is to get a mechanical gauge and plumb it in where the sender is and see what it reads while cranking.