Oil filter study write up suggestions/ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes supposedly they are the best you can buy and graced by the hands of god.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forget where, but there is a source for it, my uncles shop researched what filters they should buy based on the Micron level, The ones they went with where high up on the scale, they were Lub-something, cant remember.

let me know if you remember what it was called.

I'll be testing the filters with the test contaminants I have available, one at the 30 micron level (which is at, or slightly larger than the typical advertised specs), and one at the 5 micron level, which is a bit smaller than most filters (even the high level ones) are tested for, that way we can see how things match up at different sizes.

filters typically filter out stuff larger than 30um without a problem, but some of the tolerances in an engine can be smaller than that, so the real test for a oil filter is in the 5-30um range, which is what I want to cover. I tried to find a source for some more test contaminants around the 15um level, but I couldn't find any that I could afford, so at least we're getting the high and low end of it.

and for those not familiar with micron size, 30um is about the size of airborn pollen or a thin strand of hair, whereas 5um is the size of larger bacteria and some smoke particles.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
let me know if you remember what it was called.

I'll be testing the filters with the test contaminants I have available, one at the 30 micron level (which is at, or slightly larger than the typical advertised specs), and one at the 5 micron level, which is a bit smaller than most filters (even the high level ones) are tested for, that way we can see how things match up at different sizes.

filters typically filter out stuff larger than 30um without a problem, but some of the tolerances in an engine can be smaller than that, so the real test for a oil filter is in the 5-30um range, which is what I want to cover. I tried to find a source for some more test contaminants around the 15um level, but I couldn't find any that I could afford, so at least we're getting the high and low end of it.

and for those not familiar with micron size, 30um is about the size of airborn pollen or a thin strand of hair, whereas 5um is the size of larger bacteria and some smoke particles.

One sec, i have one on my ford.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Turns out i must change the oil in that POS more times then i thought, it had a MotoMaster $3 special :lol: