Oil filter study write up suggestions/ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT- The filter study is completed. check out the results and data here:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

hey guys, so I'm one of those people that always need some kind of project to be working on and if I'm not thinking/working on something, I'll be bored.

well, I've been bored recently, so I've been working on doing a sort of oil filter test.

I know what you're thinking, "but there are already some home done oil filter tests out there, why rehash the same stuff again?"

I've read most of them out there like these ones:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/
(which is the same as this one: http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html just setup on a different site)
or this one, http://www.mindspring.com/~latvia/Other/SubaruOilFilters/Comparison.html
or this...http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/31190-oil-filters-dissected.html
more...http://www.lesabret.com/filters/filter.html
or even alot of the videos this guy uploaded...http://www.youtube.com/user/ckermit8#p/u

the problem with these (other than some of them are VERY old, ~10 years or so), is that every one of them that I can find basically only addresses one aspect of the oil filter, its construction. which is good, thats a important part of the quality of any given oil filter. but none of them even address the even more important aspects of how well each of the filters work in both filtration efficiency, and flow rates. so even though one filter might be built like a tank and expensive, if it doesn't filter very well, then its still a piece of junk.

with this in my head, I also have a hard time believing most any marketing department. after all, their job is to make a product sound awesome no matter how it stacks up to the competition. there are SAE/ISO filtering tests that are performed for practically every filter out there. and although I believe that the numbers reported on various filter boxes, are results that were obtained in the lab, there are also MANY ways to work the tests to get the results that a marketing department is looking for.

so I can understand that most hobbyists like us, and those folks performing the above linked studies, don't have the equipment to perform tests for things like filtration efficiency, and flow, so they do what they can, and inspect construction....however, unlike most people, I actually do have access to equipment that can perform these tests. so I thought it might be fun to delve a little deeper into the subject from an independent non-biased point of view. plus, science is fun.

so here's what I'm planning, I'm going to take various filters (initially I'm getting the different brands for all the same vehicle, but in the future I'll be open to doing various makes/models/years/etc if its something people are interested in), I'll cut 'em up, and make some measurements/observations of their construction, similar to the above studies, but a little more in depth about the makeup of the filtering media. then I'm going to measure the flow rate and filtering ability/efficiency of the actual filter media, and calculate some data like price/performance ratios, etc, and provide a bunch of pics and stuff along the way.

I want to keep the variables to a minimum, and try to keep things as close to the actual operating environment of the vehicle, and I have a good Idea of how I'm going to do that with the above testing.

however, there are a few things that I either haven't quite figured out how to test well enough, or that I don't feel I have the proper facilities to do so, like structure failure pressures, filter media strength, bypass/drain back valve leak testing...so if anyone has any ideas on how to effectively and repeatably (and inexpensively) test things like that, please chime in with some suggestions.

anyways, here are the filters (and their associated P/N's) I've already acquired for the study (all filters are what the brands recommend for my truck, a 1996 C1500 5.7L genIe L31. however I think these are very standard for most gen I SBC's):

ACDelco PF1218
Bosch 3510
Napa Gold 1060
Napa 'silver' AKA proselect 21060
Wix 51060
STP S5
Amsoil EaO24
K&N HP-3002
Mobil one M1-302
Fram Extraguard PH5
Fram Toughguard TG5
Fram High Mileage HM5
Fram Xtended guard XG5
Fram Racing HP4
Microgard MGL9100

these are all the filters the local stores carried (except the amsoil, I got that because I know it is a popular non-store brand), the stores that are around here locally which I raided were autozone, checker (aka O'rileys), and napa. I haven't checked carquest (because I hate their parking lot layout by me, yup, you read that right), and pepboys (because they're kinda few and far between around here.)...eventually down the line I'd like to have a pretty extensive sample size to compare stuff to.

my question for everyone, is if this is really something people would be interested in seeing? and if there are any major filter brands/types that I have missed? and if anyone has ideas or suggestions for unusual or hard to find useful data on these that I might be able to provide.

I wouldn't mind getting some more filters and such, but remember that I'm just doing this for fun and information, I'm not Rockefeller here, I've got to try and fund this myself, so I can't test all the crazy expensive stuff out there. so for right now I'm only looking at the usual stuff, but feel free to suggest anything.

PS- sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should mention, that I really don't know what kind of rig/setup/protocol that the ISO/SAE filter testing uses, so I can't say that my testing will or won't conform to those standards, but I've got a decent background in designing stuff like this (I'm currently working on finishing 2 engineering degrees, and have a moderate background in biomedical device design and usage, as well as studying and working with automotive equipment ever since I can remember, so its not like I'm unfamiliar with this kind of stuff)...

so even though I can't say that the test will be in line with SAE/ISO protocol, the testing will still provide good and useful data with standardized results.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always used the Fram tough guard, but if you're going to test all of them, I'm interested to see what your results are. And I didn't know you were so into engineering.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I look forward to the outcome! Like Greg I normally use Fram, I've never had any issues with Fram although there's alot of internet hysteria about their filters but my personal belief is that my routine is much more frequent then those with problems as I normally change mine every 1800 to 2000 miles which is usually about every 6 weeks for me.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
i tend to use Fram as well so any data you come up with will suffice me. can't wait to see these tests and results, i have wabted to do this but i don't have the background for something like this.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool man, I'll be interested to see this. I usually use a AC Delco PF52 or a WIX 51036 for my 4x4. Which I guess are basically the equivalent to the 2wd AC Delco PF1218 and WIX 51060.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, I thought it'd be something interesting to see, I've read all the anti-fram stuff out there, and as of right now, I kinda am on that side of the fence (the anti-fram side that is), but I am going to keep everything non-biased, and fact based. I may add a section with my opinion on it, but it'll be completely separate from the collected data, so folks can look at the raw data and make their own informed decision on what they want to use. I have absolutely no gain from any one filter coming out being better than another, so its not like I have anything riding on this other than getting to do a fun project (especially one that doesn't take my truck offline, my wife hates those projects :D ) and see what I want to run on my vehicles, and sharing the findings with y'all.

oh I also stopped at one of the only pep boys around here this morning on the way home from work (probably the first time I've been in a pep boys for 15 years or so) and picked up a couple more filters, so add these to the list:
Purolator Pure-one PL34631
Proline PPL34631
Purolator classic L34631
Royal purple 30-1218

I'm still getting stuff together for it, and working out some minor details of the testing setup and all, so I won't be able to actually perform the tests for a few weeks probably, but I wanted to see if people had any requests or suggestions, so let me know.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool man, I'll be interested to see this. I usually use a AC Delco PF52 or a WIX 51036 for my 4x4. Which I guess are basically the equivalent to the 2wd AC Delco PF1218 and WIX 51060.

yeah I would think the 2wd and 4wd are very simmilar, maybe a slightly different can size, or mounting threads, or slightly different anti-drainback valve because the 4wd is mounted at an angle where the 2wd is straight down. but the filter media itself should be the exact same stuff for any specific brand and model of filter across the board, regardless of if its for a GMT400, BMW, or a studebaker, etc.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a very dedicated AC-Delco & Fram oil filter user. I've been using both well over the 30 some odd years that I've been driving without any issues at all and I'd be very interested in reading your results about the study.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OT, but speaking of pep boys, I forgot they had their disturbing cartoon mascots all over the store, doesn't Moe look like some kind of stalker or something?

You must be registered for see images attach

"do you want some candy little boy? come get in my car..." -Moe

disturbing

Last edited: