Oil Cooler Line Orientation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMTJunky

Reaction score
So I changed the oil adapter gasket and oil cooler lines on my 1997 k1500 5.7 vortec. I didnt check the orientation of the oil cooler lines before removing them. Does the top connection on the radiator run to the top connection on the oil filter adapter and the bottom connection on the radiator run to the bottom connection on the oil filter adapter?

I've found a few different answers online. Your help is appreciated.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please don't post the SAME question in multiple threads.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will it work?
Yes,but I prefer oil to enter at bottom not top to make it easier for air to remove itself.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Upper fitting on adapter goes to upper fitting on cooler. Got it?!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Will it work?
Yes,but I prefer oil to enter at bottom not top to make it easier for air to remove itself.

It's pressurized, any air will be pushed threw. Besides, even if the air rises to the top, it has to go back down to the engine oil filter area.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the engine coolant is going "down" in the radiator, the trans cooler and oil cooler flow should be "up". The trans cooler and oil cooler will be more efficient if the flow is opposite the flow of engine coolant.

The inlet to the trans cooler (and oil cooler) should be closer to the lower rad hose connection than to the upper rad hose connection.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the engine coolant is going "down" in the radiator, the trans cooler and oil cooler flow should be "up". The trans cooler and oil cooler will be more efficient if the flow is opposite the flow of engine coolant.

The inlet to the trans cooler (and oil cooler) should be closer to the lower rad hose connection than to the upper rad hose connection.
Tell GM that! BOTH flowed down on my Van and my Tahoe. Actually makes more sense for the hotter oil at the inlet to be in contact with the hotter coolant and the coldest section of the radiator as the cooler exit. Trucool also shows not to mount the auxiliary cooler in a fitting down orientation but GM did it on both oil and trans coolers for years even back into the square body oil cooler days.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On both my vehicle GM places inlet at bottom port of radiator ,and top port is outlet.
just because I don't know the reason GM plumbs coolers the way they did doesn't mean they did not have a good reason.