Oil consumption with no blue exhaust ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Good luck when winter hits. Hope you have a block heater or at least an oil pan warmer. "clackity clack."

AlexHawk94

Reaction score
Good luck when winter hits. Hope you have a block heater or at least an oil pan warmer. "clackity clack."
We have BMWs here running 10-60 whole year without heaters. But you are right, that may cause problems. 5-50 is two times thicker than 5-30

Отправлено с моего Redmi Note 3 через Tapatalk

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Just because uncle Willy runs it in his BMW doesn't mean it's right for your Chevrolet. Especially if the BMW was engineered to run that viscosity, the Chevrolet certainly wasn't. While the bearing clearances may tolerate the thicker goo the oil galleries and passages for the valvetrain haven't worn out and are expecting 5w-30.
More importantly, the thicker the base oil is, the more susceptible it is to cold weather thickening. That's what would worry me, it's like an exponential effect. The "W," while it means "Winter" is only representative an oil's resistance to that thickening effect, it will still turn into honey if it gets cold enough. If you don't care about the engine and want to experiment with it then by all means. I was playing with our dead 350 because I knew I'd be dropping another one in at some point. I'll never forget the conventional 10w-40 I used to lubricate the tailgate latch of our old F150. It was maybe 10 Degrees F outside and that stuff was flowing like thick pancake syrup.

AlexHawk94

Reaction score
Just because uncle Willy runs it in his BMW doesn't mean it's right for your Chevrolet. Especially if the BMW was engineered to run that viscosity, the Chevrolet certainly wasn't. While the bearing clearances may tolerate the thicker goo the oil galleries and passages for the valvetrain haven't worn out and are expecting 5w-30.
More importantly, the thicker the base oil is, the more susceptible it is to cold weather thickening. That's what would worry me, it's like an exponential effect. The "W," while it means "Winter" is only representative an oil's resistance to that thickening effect, it will still turn into honey if it gets cold enough. If you don't care about the engine and want to experiment with it then by all means. I was playing with our dead 350 because I knew I'd be dropping another one in at some point. I'll never forget the conventional 10w-40 I used to lubricate the tailgate latch of our old F150. It was maybe 10 Degrees F outside and that stuff was flowing like thick pancake syrup.
Hello again
Didn't appear here for month or so.
The winter came to Russia. It's 0 degrees Celsius here (temp when water freeze).
I should say that it's running perfect on mannol 5-50. This oil still leaks good.
Some noises disappeared and oil consumption is twice less than before.
Engine starts easily and I honestly don't see any problems.
I tried to put this oil into fridge, it turned into honey at - 25 Celsius. I think it has good resistance to low temperatures. Anyways, I don't use vehicle at such cold weather (-25 deg C). Year ago I had to start engine at same temp once, it had 10-40 oil. It started with first try within 3 secs. I checked oil it had quite good leakage. I think oils in Russia specially made for cold climate... Some additives or so...Probably :)

Also, I have knocking sound gone. Recently I had some strange sound at cold start, after going on 5-50 engine works smoother. I guess that clearances are totally messed up and only high viscosity can cover them. Anyways, I'm going to swap for another engine next spring or summer. It will be same 5.7 vortec of course :) the general thing is that is gonna be recent rebuilded

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I'm running 5W-40 Valvoline SynPower with the "new" engine in our truck, with a bottle of Restore. No oil consumption and 60psi oil at cold start-up. Hot idle is about 20-25psi. Shop put semi synthetic 10-30 in it and it was 15psi hot idle and that was a bit too low for my liking. Engine seems to like the 5W-40 as I have not noticed any oil consumption yet. So, if yours is going good with that thick oil and it resists turning into goo at the lowest temperature you'll run it at then by all means. Synthetics seem to resist it better than conventionals of the same grade by the same manufacturer. How long does it take to start generating oil pressure after starting it when it's cold?

AlexHawk94

Reaction score
I'm running 5W-40 Valvoline SynPower with the "new" engine in our truck, with a bottle of Restore. No oil consumption and 60psi oil at cold start-up. Hot idle is about 20-25psi. Shop put semi synthetic 10-30 in it and it was 15psi hot idle and that was a bit too low for my liking. Engine seems to like the 5W-40 as I have not noticed any oil consumption yet. So, if yours is going good with that thick oil and it resists turning into goo at the lowest temperature you'll run it at then by all means. Synthetics seem to resist it better than conventionals of the same grade by the same manufacturer. How long does it take to start generating oil pressure after starting it when it's cold?
It takes 2 secs to gain max pressure at cold
I have 60 psi at cold start and only 20 psi on fully warmed up engine. With 10-40 at hot weather oil pressure became lower in traffic jams. From 20 it turned into 15
With 5-30 it was just 10