O2 Sensor Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Universal O2 sensor? I did not know they made such a thing. Why didn't you use the correct part?

That may be your problem, but also could be your engine causing the O2 to reading accurately. Normally you can swap them with the other side and see if the code switches to the other bank.

Otherwise you need a scanner with live data to look at the O2 voltages and waveform.

Qball

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Universal O2 sensor? I did not know they made such a thing. Why didn't you use the correct part?

That may be your problem, but also could be your engine causing the O2 to reading accurately. Normally you can swap them with the other side and see if the code switches to the other bank.

Otherwise you need a scanner with live data to look at the O2 voltages and waveform.
I had to go universal as an oem fit would not have had a long enough wire

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should have had a ground strap between your transmission and one of your collector nuts. If it's missing, I'd start there. Remember that your O2 sensor grounds to the exhaust, and the exhaust is insulated with rubber hangers. You might get some grounding through the manifold bolts, but I wouldn't trust it.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to go universal as an oem fit would not have had a long enough wire

So you would just splice the wires, right? And go with OEM spec? Maybe they all have the same resistance for the heater circuit, but if not, ECU would probably not like it.

Qball

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should have had a ground strap between your transmission and one of your collector nuts. If it's missing, I'd start there. Remember that your O2 sensor grounds to the exhaust, and the exhaust is insulated with rubber hangers. You might get some grounding through the manifold bolts, but I wouldn't trust it.
Mine is not hung with actual hangers. I got "hangers" from advanced it's just a strip of metal with holes drilled all throughout it and I wrapped it around the pipe and the frame. I will look to see if there is a ground strap I missed

Qball

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you would just splice the wires, right? And go with OEM spec? Maybe they all have the same resistance for the heater circuit, but if not, ECU would probably not like it.
Yea the kit came with theses weird butt connector like things but had of instead of crimping it you untwist the ends stick a wire in each end then tighten it and boom you're done not sure how much I like that but figured it should work. I'm fairly sure I got all wires matched up with the universal one

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so I would figure out which is the heater circuit and compare it to a OEM spec one and hopefully they are the same. Easy enough with a DVOM.

Qball

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright I tightened the exhaust clamp before the sensor and I checked for any missing ground straps and there weren't any. So I'm not sure what else it is I will pull the plug and check resistance on the heater wires tomorrow.

Qball

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I would figure out which is the heater circuit and compare it to a OEM spec one and hopefully they are the same. Easy enough with a DVOM.
I can't seem to find OEM specs for it I measured the resistance on the heater circuit and it was 3.7 ohms. Should I have been trying to measure voltage?

Qball

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I used an OBD scanner and was able to get the voltage of the sensor that is at the very least making it's way to the ecm and well it was just a steady 0 on graphing for good measure I had sensor 1 graphing too and I saw it bouncing all around. Not sure why that would be unless I mixed up my ground and signal wires.