NV4500 454 Clutch Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454C2500

Reaction score
Just got my 2wd 454 and its awesome. My only complaint is that the clutch engages pretty high on the pedal. Usually on other vehicles this was a sign of clutch needing replacement. I think the clutch on this needs replacing because of that. What I was wondering is if anyone else has experienced this and if a clutch replacement fixed it or if this is just a characteristic of these clutches. I sure would rather have the clutch start grabbing as I let up off the floor instead of high up on the release of the clutch pedal. I doubt theres an adjustment since its hydraulic but figured I would ask. And would everyone recommend just ordering a new flywheel/clutch/master/slave/throwout/pilot?

olof1233

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my truck I replaced the clutch and it’s a lot better but since I don’t know the truck very well I don’t know if it’s right

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Your truck is doomed, unfortunately. Your best bet is to sell it to me, because I've been on the look-out for a 2WD 454 powered, stickershift Regular Cab long box one ton (or 3/4 ton) truck. :D Need pics! Those trucks are quite rare. Clearance lights? Two tone? GMC?

But on a more serious note- That could indeed be the sign of a worn out clutch. However, it could also be the slave cylinder and the length of the arm thing which pushes on the pawl(?) of the pressure plate thingy. Could also be the slave cylinder is breaking in, is it new? When the slave cylinder died in my '89, the new one I put on was like that at first. In addition to being a big pain in the ahss to bleed, the clutch engaged at the very top of the pedal travel. Took a few weeks of daily driving, but it finally went back to normal. Guess they need time to self adjust.

454C2500

Reaction score
Your truck is doomed, unfortunately. Your best bet is to sell it to me, because I've been on the look-out for a 2WD 454 powered, stickershift Regular Cab long box one ton (or 3/4 ton) truck. :D Need pics! Those trucks are quite rare. Clearance lights? Two tone? GMC?

But on a more serious note- That could indeed be the sign of a worn out clutch. However, it could also be the slave cylinder and the length of the arm thing which pushes on the pawl(?) of the pressure plate thingy. Could also be the slave cylinder is breaking in, is it new? When the slave cylinder died in my '89, the new one I put on was like that at first. In addition to being a big pain in the ahss to bleed, the clutch engaged at the very top of the pedal travel. Took a few weeks of daily driving, but it finally went back to normal. Guess they need time to self adjust.
It is 2WD 454 NV4500 regular cab 3/4 ton factory clearance lights and two tone GMC. We were looking for the same exact truck lol. Body doesn't have a spot of rust! Just ordered all new lenses to make the lights look nice and I should be good to go.

On the clutch situation I could replace the hydraulics first. Are they something that can be bled on the truck or sealed? I could also bleed them out. I fear engagement at the top of the pedal must be disc/pressure plate but I don't know these trucks. If theres a bleeder on the slave I can crack that and let it drip for a bit to get fresh fluid through - it was quite gunky when I took off the master cylinder cap.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Oh wow, very cool truck. Clearance lights are must for me on those- love the way they look, especially when covered in snow. Need pics, what colors? Power windows & locks? Tilt wheel? A/C?

It wouldn't hurt to flush the old fluid out. But, if the clutch needed to be bled, you'd know as when you put the clutch pedal to the floor, yet the clutch doesn't disengage all the way. I like to check for this by having the vehicle stationary with the engine running. Push clutch to floor, shift into first, you'll notice a bit of delay as the synchros slow down the input shaft so it'll go in gear. Take out of gear, wait for about five seconds. Go for first again. If everything is working correctly and the clutch is fully disengaging, it should go right into gear again with no hesitation. Is it hard to shift between gears?

I don't think you can bleed stuff outside the truck. I installed a new slave cylinder and master at the same time. Had to lift the ahss of the truck in the air quite a ways as I had an air bubble which prevented the clutch from disengaging all the way.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

454C2500

Reaction score
Oh wow, very cool truck. Clearance lights are must for me on those- love the way they look, especially when covered in snow. Need pics, what colors? Power windows & locks? Tilt wheel? A/C?

It wouldn't hurt to flush the old fluid out. But, if the clutch needed to be bled, you'd know as when you put the clutch pedal to the floor, yet the clutch doesn't disengage all the way. I like to check for this by having the vehicle stationary with the engine running. Push clutch to floor, shift into first, you'll notice a bit of delay as the synchros slow down the input shaft so it'll go in gear. Take out of gear, wait for about five seconds. Go for first again. If everything is working correctly and the clutch is fully disengaging, it should go right into gear again with no hesitation. Is it hard to shift between gears?

I don't think you can bleed stuff outside the truck. I installed a new slave cylinder and master at the same time. Had to lift the ahss of the truck in the air quite a ways as I had an air bubble which prevented the clutch from disengaging all the way.
No pics yet. Yes AC and tilt. No power windows and locks. Super weird options. Gonna bleed it out when its not raining.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score

454C2500

Reaction score
I will probably bleed tomorrow. Is there a bleeder on the slave cylinder or are you guys removing the slave and bench bleeding? Don't mind removing and bleeding but if theres a screw or bleeder I can crack that would be easier. Step one is getting all that old fluid out of there - it looks gunky.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There was an extensive discussion on the TTS 6.5 diesel forum about this. There are adjustable throwout bearing available i understand too