Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrystaledJazz

Reaction score
I have a np241 out of an 89 GMC. I'm wondering how strong it is for what abuse I'm going to use it for. The truck has a 350 that I plan on putting a cam, heads, headers, and intake on, so I'm hoping for around 350-400 crank horsepower or maybe even more. I know I'm going to have to build the 700r4 a bit to handle it. The truck will see a lot of work around the farm and hauling things around, and it will be my daily driver. So is there anything I have to do to make the transfer case stronger or switch it out so that if i put my foot down it wont break? Or is it good enough already?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be way more concerned about the '700 and an 8.5" rear axle than the transfer case.

Make sure the plastic pads on the shift fork are in good shape, assure that the seals don't leak, and it's full of the proper lube.

CrystaledJazz

Reaction score
Yea I know about the rear end and the transmissions, I've just never really heard anything about how strong the transfer case is. I did a bit of research and didn't learn much about how much torque they can withstand from the engine, or what life expectancy to get from them with a little bit of power put through them.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 97 K2500 Suburban I bought as a donor for my engine swap was a 454/4L80E/NP241 combo with 288,000 miles on it. The 241 still worked perfectly and had zero issues. The 454/4L80 also still worked, but they were leaky and rough... the 241 still had nice cherry red fluid and no issues at all. I'd say if it had no issues behind the diesels and big blocks, you should be fine with anything you are likely to do to it.