Normal 4L80E temp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I plan on doing some serious towing with my 1992 K2500 454/4L80E/3.73 4x4 Camper Special, towing an enclosed trailer that is about 10,000lbs. The truck has a heavy duty radiator with incorporated engine oil and trans fluid cooling. I am assuming (?) the engineers knew what they we're doing with this setup if the truck is rated to tow 8600lbs. I have new brakes all around, upgraded master cylinder, Air Lift air bags, weight distribution hitch with integral sway control. In order to monitor temps better, I just installed an Engine Oil and Trans Fluid temp gauges. Drove it for the first time today with the gauges and I'm trying to understand what I SHOULD be seeing. Would appreciate any advice on what temps I should try to have. It's not out of the question to ADD an external cooler for both fluids, but hoping I don't have to.
You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's saying 220F driving empty? That seems too high, especially with the lower ambient current temperatures.

My 4L80e around this time of the year I think is usually around 150F. Summer driving around 95-100F is closer to 190F.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like you're seeing 220F - this is while running empty, not towing? That's too hot.

I'd take an IR temp gun and aim it all around the pan, case, torque converter, etc. and compare it to your gauge reading.

NOT working it hard, just regular temp, should be closer to 180-200F. You're at the edge of risking overheat at 220F. 230F and above is where you start getting into trouble.

edit - @stutaeng I see we were responding same time with pretty much same questions/info :D

Richard

Reaction score
It's saying 220F driving empty? That seems too high, especially with the lower ambient current temperatures.

My 4L80e around this time of the year I think is usually around 150F. Summer driving around 95-100F is closer to 190F.
Looks like you're seeing 220F - this is while running empty, not towing? That's too hot.

I'd take an IR temp gun and aim it all around the pan, case, torque converter, etc. and compare it to your gauge reading.

NOT working it hard, just regular temp, should be closer to 180-200F. You're at the edge of risking overheat at 220F. 230F and above is where you start getting into trouble.

edit - @stutaeng I see we were responding same time with pretty much same questions/info :D

Richard
Thanks to both of you. I did a couple things: (1) ensured the gauges were not reversed - they're hooked up correctly, and (2) used an infrared thermometer to see how close the gauge read-out is - the oil temp seemed to be within 5-10 degrees, completely acceptable. However the Trans Oil Temp Gauge is reading, I believe, about 50 degrees higher than it should. Chinese junk, I think. I'll be contacting the Seller to see if i can get that gauge replaced.

Rich
Maple Valley, WA

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've had good luck with AutoMeter for the trans temp and other gauges. I installed the sender in a different spot, which is sometimes a controversial subject, lots of debate. The AutoMeter sender threaded right into the pressure test port on the side of the transmission above the shift linkage.

Good to hear that wasn't your actual transmission temperature!

Richard

Macs Garage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I monitor my engine and transmission temperatures through the Torque app on my phone. $10 for the app and $25 for a Bluetooth connection in the OSB port. My normal engine temp is 182f and 192f pulling my 7500lbs camper. My Transmission temp really varies with the air temperature outside. ( Summer vs winter ) I think pulling it was around 150f

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulling 10K with a truck rated for 8.5K could get you into real trouble with the folks at the weigh station...or troopers with portable scales.

You get into a collision, your insurance company may deny the claim.

You kill or injure someone, you might want to start thinking about what you're gonna tell the judge about your knowingly-overweight rig.

Transmission temperature is the least of your problems.