No Turning On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finn

Reaction score
Hey guys so today my 1990 Chevy c1500 5.7 won’t start. When I insert the keys and turn the cluster works and so do the lights and stereo. However the power windows stopped Working and also again the truck doenst start any ideas on what it could be ? This has happened a couple of times before but after a while it’ll turn on again or when I would just keep trying to turn it on it’ll eventually start.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you saying the engine won't crank (turn over) either?
Or does it turn-over? I'm guessing it doesn't, since your PW don't work.

The first thing to check are the battery cable connections. Then the battery itself (have a free load test performed at a parts store). Battery could be dead or weak, or run down from the dome light or another short. Then the Ground cable to the engine ...and then the power wire to the starter solenoid. Also check the pigtail that comes of the - side of the battery connection to the fender If your truck has one. Just make sure it's good and someone didn't cut and 'twist' corroded wires together.

Chances are it's with your battery connections or the battery itself. Get them proven good first.

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Multiple items acting up makes me think of a ground problem. Check any ground to body connection points along the firewall.

Finn

Reaction score

The first thing to check are the battery cable connections. Then the battery itself (have a free load test performed at a parts store). Battery could be dead or weak, or run down from the dome light or another short. Then the Ground cable to the engine ...and then the power wire to the starter solenoid. Also check the pigtail that comes of the - side of the battery connection to the fender If your truck has one. Just make sure it's good and someone didn't cut and 'twist' corroded wires together.

Chances are it's with your battery connections or the battery itself. Get them proven good first.

Thanks we managed to turn on the truck but jumping the battery as for the windows it was a blown fuse. We still don’t know why the truck wouldn’t start as everything looked fine with the battery only being two months old. I figured it was the starter since everything else would turn on power wise except the truck not cranking up/turning on until passing power.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks we managed to turn on the truck [by] jumping the battery... We still don’t know why the truck wouldn’t start as everything looked fine with the battery only being two months old.
I'm guessing you still have side post terminals. I got fed up with the terminals on my '99 Suburban randomly loosening, so I chopped 'em and went top post. I did the same thing on WCJr, and I'll do it again on Roscoe.