98 5.7 power steering whine and hard to turn after warmed up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert1960

Reaction score
98 chevy silverado 5.7 vortec had rebuilt ps pump put on 6 months ago. After driving about 10 miles pump starts whining and hard to turn wheel when stopped. The whining only happens when accelerating turn off and restart a while later and works normal till heated up again.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
had rebuilt ps pump put on 6 months ago. After driving about 10 miles pump starts whining and hard to turn wheel when stopped
Guessing this means it just started happening. Not 10 miles after install. I'd suspect not primed correctly if that were the case..
What pump was it? At least for my 93 there weren't too many good recommendations outside of a few..
Maybe taking a peak at the fluid when it acts up could give some clues. Bubbly or whatever..idk

Robert1960

Reaction score
Guessing this means it just started happening. Not 10 miles after install. I'd suspect not primed correctly if that were the case..
What pump was it? At least for my 93 there weren't too many good recommendations outside of a few..
Maybe taking a peak at the fluid when it acts up could give some clues. Bubbly or whatever..idk
It started 2 or 3 months after the change . I don't use the truck much. It is a Cardona and it is bubbling when it happens even though I have blend it several times and I get no bubbles when bleeding.

Robert1960

Reaction score
Did you check the drive belt and spring loaded tensioner? Slipping multi V belts don't make the noise a regular V belt makes when it slips. The pump will have a whine when it is forced to work, when it is spinning too slow.
It's a new belt. New pully on tensioner but not new tensioner noise whine happens when giving it gas but not at idle or when turning.