No Start -- Fuel Pressure? Oil Pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
The bed is still jacked up on block, so I suppose I could throw the old one back in. Thanks for the advice.

As for the "bashing"...hmm... All I said is that I'm not enjoying this experience. If people are going to get worked up abut someone simply mentioning that dealing with a common problem that comes from a questionable design is not something that excites them, then I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over it. If this is a "you better not say anything bad about Chevy or we won't help you" kind of site, I'm content to search elsewhere.

lol you took my statement too seriously :)

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If this is a "you better not say anything bad about Chevy or we won't help you" kind of site, I'm content to search elsewhere.

GENERAL MOTORS SUCKS!!! So does Dodge, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Yugo....

All brands suck. Some just more than others.

I'm sorry that I missed checking back on this thread. The General made the lovely spider injection in such a way that it won't open the poppet injectors if it has low fuel pressure. I should have thought of this before but take your air filter assembly off of the throttle body and open the throttle plate. If you smell strong fuel smell, you have a leak in the spider assembly. It is most likely the regulator. If you need to replace it go for the MPFI version instead. The last one that we did we used the one from standard motor products and I have no complaints.

mudpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lol you took my statement too seriously :)

Probably. I've been on lots of different forums, and there's always a few who jump up and down about "Chevy (or Ford, or Dodge, or whatever) is awesome and everything else suck and you better agree". Not to imply that you're one of them, but I like to nip that in the bud when it comes up. It's taxing to deal with.

GENERAL MOTORS SUCKS!!! So does Dodge, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Yugo....

Toyota and Yugo in the same sentence. Interesting. Valid point though. Everybody, at some point designs something truly horrible. What I like to see is what they do about it. As I mentioned, I'm a Volvo guy, and I love my cars, but I'd never touch a 2001 or 2002. They're notorious for bad transmissions. So is Saab. The difference is that Volvo recognized the problem and fixed it. Saab just kept cranking out horrible automatic transmissions for decades rather than years. Same thing with too many of the VW's I've owned also. While GM eventually updated the spider, from what I can tell they stood around scratching their head for a few years first, looking at it and saying "gee, that's odd".

I checked the regulator. No leaks. I'm basically getting no fuel anywhere. Everything I've checked points to the spider, but it just seems odd to me that it went completely bad so quickly. Then again, I've only had this truck 9 months. Maybe it's been low on power and I just didn't know it. Also, it was running poorly when I bought it due to a worn distributor, and though I replaced the distributor it still had a little stumble at part throttle. I assumed it just needed to be adjusted with a scanner, but maybe that was my spider going bad all along. I just hate throwing money at something unless I can test it somehow and know for sure that I've found the problem. Unfortunately that's not always possible I suppose.

Since all indications seem to point to the spider assembly, I'll put one in and see what happens. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Probably. I've been on lots of different forums, and there's always a few who jump up and down about "Chevy (or Ford, or Dodge, or whatever) is awesome and everything else suck and you better agree". Not to imply that you're one of them, but I like to nip that in the bud when it comes up. It's taxing to deal with.

Toyota and Yugo in the same sentence. Interesting. Valid point though. Everybody, at some point designs something truly horrible. What I like to see is what they do about it. As I mentioned, I'm a Volvo guy, and I love my cars, but I'd never touch a 2001 or 2002. They're notorious for bad transmissions. So is Saab. The difference is that Volvo recognized the problem and fixed it. Saab just kept cranking out horrible automatic transmissions for decades rather than years. Same thing with too many of the VW's I've owned also. While GM eventually updated the spider, from what I can tell they stood around scratching their head for a few years first, looking at it and saying "gee, that's odd".

I checked the regulator. No leaks. I'm basically getting no fuel anywhere. Everything I've checked points to the spider, but it just seems odd to me that it went completely bad so quickly. Then again, I've only had this truck 9 months. Maybe it's been low on power and I just didn't know it. Also, it was running poorly when I bought it due to a worn distributor, and though I replaced the distributor it still had a little stumble at part throttle. I assumed it just needed to be adjusted with a scanner, but maybe that was my spider going bad all along. I just hate throwing money at something unless I can test it somehow and know for sure that I've found the problem. Unfortunately that's not always possible I suppose.

Since all indications seem to point to the spider assembly, I'll put one in and see what happens. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

As stated before, be sure to get the upgraded MPFI style. Most of them come with a new fuel regulator already installed.

The factory poppet style is junk.

Oh and we don't bash on Toyota's (well I don't anyway). I love older ones, 22r and 22re are damn hard to beat. I'm casually looking for an 80's style FourRunner.