No speedometer or coolant temp gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScoobyJD

Reaction score
1994 GMC K1500 5.7

So the story starts off like this, the truck was given to my father by his father and now my father gave it to me. I noticed somethings needed to be repaired such as plugs, wires, suspension...etc. The truck had sat for a while and I left the tags on and accidentally let the insurance lapse. So I pulled the speedo to provide proof that the vehicle still had the exact same mileage as it did when I signed the title. Needless to say the MVA is the devil and didn't accept this as proof.

Now onto the problems I am having and how they started. So one night I was drinking some beer and decided to start working on the truck. I started the truck up to get it warm so that I could be warm. I started install the new radio I got so that I could listen to some tunes will working on the truck. I then proceeded to put the speedo back in with the truck on (drunk stupid me). I heard a zap/shock noise. Now I have no coolant temp or speedo. The truck drives but will not shift and rpms rise slowly with the pedal to the floor.

I have already replaced both coolant temp sensors and tried a new speedo. Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ahead of time!

Last edited:

ScoobyJD

Reaction score
1994 GMC K1500 5.7, sorry must have forgotten to add that in; lol.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
1.....Dont drink while working on vehicles
2.....Learn to use a camera rather than removing speedo
3....You have F'd something up electrically

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My guess would be that while you were messing with wiring/connections with the truck running (big no-no, especially with audio stuff) you shorted something out when you tried to reinstall the gauge cluster and likely blew a bunch of fuses. That might explain the transmission being in limp mode. As far as what else you may have fried along with the fuses, no idea.

ScoobyJD

Reaction score
Poncho: They wouldn't accept a picture of speedo. This is the MVA were talking about here.

Thanks for stating the obvious......

Df2x4: I have already checked all fuses.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

GMT454

Reaction score
Guys, i swappe carbureted454 engine i had no vss module so i got one from a 94, the speedometer had not soothed since i bought the truck so i got the green signal cablefrom the sensor connected to the module people babble which us signal input got ignition to the brown wire, and the blue with black i connected it to the cluster #14 terminal and didn't work, sensor works, as it reads 1.39 k ohm resistance (has to range between 1 & 3 k ohm to be good) hire can i test the speedometer and or the vss module?