No reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
1. Slow, slipping or no reverse: low/reverse clutches are worn out, fluid leak in the reverse apply circuit, or broken sun shell. It is possible to remedy a fluid problem by removing the check ball from its cage in the case in the rear of the trans may help (must remove valve body), or adding a high-viscosity additive such as Lucas Transmission additive or other seal restorer product.

So is there anyway to diagnose this without diggin into the trans?

Info: 98 k1500. Took on quick test run for first time in few months after doin intake and mpfi upgrade. Checked n topped off all fluids. Shifted thru gears ok. Turned around in a driveway and backed out no problem. Bout hour later i go to run to town in it and reverse is almost a second park. Truck pulls forward fine, let it coast backward in nuetral then put in reverse it stops.

Last edited:

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Have all forward gears and pan dosnt seem too horrible

You must be registered for see images attach

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I just realized i threw a granatelli MAF on for a test of my maf. Could that thing be messin up my reverse since it and o2s on same circuit as trans?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just realized i threw a granatelli MAF on for a test of my maf. Could that thing be messin up my reverse since it and o2s on same circuit as trans?

Not sure about the reverse issue, but I'd definitely throw a factory MAF back on regardless. Those aftermarket MAFs really screw with the tuning. I doubt it will help the reverse problem but it's worth a shot.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Dropped pan, new fluid n filter, cleaned out pan and reinatalled. Also put in a factory maf. I got truck on stands and when i put it in nuetral the drive tire takes off pretty fast like in low1. Am i maybe havin an electrical or linkage issue?

Rear wheels are tough as hell to spin my hand. Wonder if the diff is crappin out n thats my issue? Motor seems to struggle when i put it in reverse

Last edited: