No oil pressure after head gasket change???? Huh??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Do your self a favor and measure the tools diameter. The bore in the block is 1.247-1.248. A factory distributor measures 1.244-1.245. MY priming tool measures right at 1.245.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do your self a favor and measure the tools diameter. The bore in the block is 1.247-1.248. A factory distributor measures 1.244-1.245. MY priming tool measures right at 1.245.

I measured it when I had it. I can’t remember the exact number now but I remember something like 0.020-0.030” undersized. Looking at that video it most looks like it doesn’t sit at the correct height either.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had This happen to me .without a big explination my distributor bolt became loose and it let my distributor
raise up, Truck still ran but lost oil pressure. After finding problem reset dist. and all was good

deve05

Reaction score
I had This happen to me .without a big explination my distributor bolt became loose and it let my distributor
raise up, Truck still ran but lost oil pressure. After finding problem reset dist. and all was good
This was fairly close to what was going on actually. Thanks to everyone that gave pointers. I can verify with all certainty that the tool from autozone is trash. Even with a drill it didn't lift a single lb of oil pressure. So I went another route. I inserted the distributor back in place and pulled all the plugs and just used the started to rotate the engine and within 15 seconds the oil pressure gauge was showing 20 lbs. After that i put everything back together, timed the ignition and on startup everything worked fine and I had consistent oil pressure. So it appears my theory was correct, it is possible for the distributor drive gear to be partially meshed enough to drive the distributor but not the oil pump.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did I miss something. You over heated the motor. Was you getting good pressure before that. Did you change all the oil. From past times. You can ruin the oil by heat. It will be like water. Lifters will tap. Pump has to pump oil to the heads. Pickup tubes have been known. To come loose and fall down. Oil pump could of went to lunch. Stock ones are not great. Stopped up radiator. Been there. Oil pan. Could be full of sludge. Oil pickup could be partly or blocked up all the way. I think there are gally plugs. In front of engine. Stock. Maybe loose or fell out. Replacements. Are screw in. If the holes have threads or you tap the hole.

phantom 309

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was an entertaining thread,.....

You mentioned 2-3 times distributor was loose,. I think you kinda knew,..?

I you want to check oil pressure another easy way,. Before you fire it , Spin it on the starter with no plugs in,.

deve05

Reaction score
Did I miss something. You over heated the motor. Was you getting good pressure before that. Did you change all the oil. From past times. You can ruin the oil by heat. It will be like water. Lifters will tap. Pump has to pump oil to the heads. Pickup tubes have been known. To come loose and fall down. Oil pump could of went to lunch. Stock ones are not great. Stopped up radiator. Been there. Oil pan. Could be full of sludge. Oil pickup could be partly or blocked up all the way. I think there are gally plugs. In front of engine. Stock. Maybe loose or fell out. Replacements. Are screw in. If the holes have threads or you tap the hole.
It was just the distributor drive gears meshed but it had not made it all the way to drive the oil pump.

deve05

Reaction score
This was an entertaining thread,.....

You mentioned 2-3 times distributor was loose,. I think you kinda knew,..?

I you want to check oil pressure another easy way,. Before you fire it , Spin it on the starter with no plugs in,.
If you read the post about when I was able to fix it, you will see that is exactly what I ended up doing. My main mistake in this is that from working so much recently on engines from the ls and lq family I forgot that these earlier small blocks have distributor driven oil pumps, not crank driven ones like on the LS family. My 1984 is like that also, I just overlooked that for some odd reason. At the same time I made this post I was going over the repair manual on how to replace the oil pump and thats when I realized it was distributor driven.