Newbie from the Great White North

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crytone

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie who just got his new-to-him truck yesterday. It's an 1988 GMC C1500 RCLB. Odd thing is it has badges and labeling of "Wrangler" on it, which were like that from the day it left the dealership. Tried finding information about this model but came up empty handed.

Some cool things about my truck (I'm sure many others have these things too):
  • Wrangler badges
  • Odometer reads 76,000 ORIGINAL KMs (about 47K miles). Dealer serviced all it's life.
  • 5.0L V8
  • AC, Power Windows/Locks
  • Has this cool retractable light under the hood
  • Rear defrost glass!
Yes, the KMs are accurate because I got it from one of the original owners. It truly was almost a barnyard find and in fairly mint condition. The story is actually, it's my grandfathers truck, who passed away nearly 15 years ago. It has sat in my grandmothers garage for the past 15 years only getting driven a few times a year. My grandfather used it as a light duty 'farm' truck to basically drive from his house in town to check his farm about 15 KM away maybe once a week, or to go get the paper/coffee downtown. Got a sweet family discount (read: free) on it too!!

Now the things that need fixing:
  • Front grill chrome is starting to bubble (who makes a good replacement?)
  • One of the sealed beam headlights has a rock hole in it and will need to be replaced
  • One of the fender chromes is a bit dinged up
  • Needs some mudflaps
  • Some paint protection film might be nice to protect the minty rocker panels/cab corners
  • Bed is scratched up bad but no rusting/dents. Thinking of doing a spray in liner.
  • Might look at doing an undercoating on it
I had bigger plans for this truck but with how mint it is, I'm now thinking of keeping it mostly stock. A few things I may do are like LED bulbs/lights, tonneau cover and maybe an alarm/starter/keyless.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Welcome, any chance of getting some pictures up?

lets see a picture of this low mileage gem.

I wanna see these wrangler badges you speak of as well. im not a GMT historian, but ive never seen wrangler badging on these trucks

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Welcome! Wrangler badges?? There was never a "Wrangler package" that I'm aware of. Must be some dealer installed stuff.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There was a wrangler edition in the early models of these trucks I've seen 2, an 88 and a 90, the 88 I took the steering column out of, it was silver and burgundy and said wrangler inside on the door panels and outside the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

This is what the 88 I found looked like but it was rougher should have documented the find lol

Where the silverado/Cheyenne/Scottsdale badge there is a W inside a circle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crytone

Reaction score
Welcome, any chance of getting some pictures up?

lets see a picture of this low mileage gem.

I wanna see these wrangler badges you speak of as well. im not a GMT historian, but ive never seen wrangler badging on these trucks

As someone else pointed out, the Wrangler badging is on the inner doors, on the cab, and in the special pin striping (rear of the box on each side and on the tailgate). Adding a few pictures at the end of this post to show some of it off!

Welcome! Wrangler badges?? There was never a "Wrangler package" that I'm aware of. Must be some dealer installed stuff.
See the pictures below. May have been a Canadian only thing

Welcome! More Canucks! Yay!
Whereabouts in The Great White North are you?

Alberta!

There was a wrangler edition in the early models of these trucks I've seen 2, an 88 and a 90, the 88 I took the steering column out of, it was silver and burgundy and said wrangler inside on the door panels and outside the truck
Yup, mine is also Silver/Burgundy. Not my first pic of color scheme but oh well. Not a huge fan of the burgundy interior either.

Pictures below taken earlier today. Pardon the bad pictures I took. The truck is also now empty and I have cleaned up the garage a lot (Holiday today).

Odometer reading as of this morning:
You must be registered for see images attach

Wrangler badging on the interior door panel.

Wrangler badge behind the driver/pass side on the cab.

Wrangler pinstriping detail.

Full view of the truck. Was raining so didn't want to open the garage door and pull it out to take a better shot so sorry for that. Needs a good waxing.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Apparently its a Canadian exclusive package i found out through searching the yee ole inter web. one guy has a bunch of info on the 73-87 squarebody wrangler packages. pretty cool truck you got there. Looks like its in killer shape.

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
Yeah, you never know what kind of crazy creation or package they'll sell in Canada.
I always thought it was neat to see the different things they'd sell there, like the Pontiac Firefly.

Smitty