Newbie saying Hi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grube

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the GMT400 community. Bought my first ever GMC truck a few weeks ago, older but so far been good to me. 1997 Yukon 5.7TBI 4WD. Automatic 4L60E.
Been a Ford and Toyota driver most of my life haha, not new to driving old clunkers but new to GM vehicles. Only had it a few weeks and I might never buy another Ford

Anyway just wanted to say Hi. I’ll be snooping around the forums for tech info in the coming weeks I’m sure.

I picked up the truck for $3000 Canadian Pesos, was listed at $6500 but found issues and talked seller down. I fixed the pitman arm and a TRE, got an alignment, new tailpipe, new rear barn door pins to fix a water leak at the back door, and put some new-to-me tires on it. Then drove 2000KM home without any issues. Truck has a few oil leaks, seems like oil filter adapter housing is leaking and potentially intake manifold and/or valve cover hard to tell need to clean it up and investigate further. Push button 4WD isn’t working quite right, still looking into that. I can get into 2WD Low Range but not into 4x4. Possible front actuator but need to spend some time diagnosing before calling it. Might look into floor shift swap and just eliminate push button altogether. 4L60E is shifting wonderfully (knock on wood) and fluid looks and smells great.

Anyway here’s me and the truck I bought.
You must be registered for see images attach

95OBSMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!!

Killer looking Rig you've got there!! Love those wheels and the tires, seems to be a good looking combo and functional as well, by the looks of your photo they'll be put to the test!! Also love the grill guard out front!! Thats a beautiful photograph btw!! The back drop couldn't be more fitting for that truck!!

Ive only been on the forum for a short time, but the wealth and knowledge and the people here.. well its just mine blowing to me just how much we all have in common with a "chunk" of metal, plastic and rubber all created by human hands like us, has created a forum like this!! Dive in!

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
new rear barn door pins to fix a water leak at the back door... Push button 4WD isn’t working quite right, still looking into that.

I like the NBS wheels, they look good on that truck.

Keep an eye on that barn door leak... just when you think you've found and solved the problem you'll find water in the truck. It can be a real enigma. I suspect there are multiple leakage paths, and everyone seems to have a different one with a different solution.

If my Suburban is parked "uphill" (nose-high) during a rain, the water runs down the roof and around the barn doors' weatherstrip and finds it's way in. Yours may be similar. In my case, if I know a rain is due, I'll park the truck so it's nose-low. I've located the leakage point on mine, it's due to a slight gap where weatherstrip seals b/t the door and the body, located just a little above where the black door stopper-thingie resides (I can't think of the name for that thing... "door stop"?). You get the picture. Water gets past the weatherstrip there and follows the inside of the pinch-weld down to the floor, where it puddles at the pinch weld beneath the plastic threshold / garnish that's across the rear of the truck just inside the barn doors. If too much water gets in, it'll overflow that area and start soaking the underside of the rear carpet.

On my Suburban I also found a sealant gap on the pass-side rear stationary window which allowed water in.

The LEDs in the push-button switch have a habit of failing, so don't be mislead by them. I believe the issue is due to a solder joint within the switch. I've never tried to fix mine, I know the LEDs' behavior and simply ignore it. This may or may not be your issue; I'm jus' sayin'

Welcome!

Have you both rear heat and AC in that truck, just one (heat / AC) or neither?

What's the RPO code for your truck's brakes, JB5 or JB6 (look at the codes on the sticker in the glovebox, they tell almost everything about the truck)?

By the way, if it's a 1997 then it's not a TBI... or at least, it better not be. 1996 and later engines got a throttle body with separate injectors in the intake manifold... the "spider" injector design that's won wide acclaim.

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome from one province to your right.
That's a nice looking unit, decent price as well.

At least it's snow and not rain you have there.... don't know how y'all do it!!! Was offered many times to go out to Site-C, no way was I dealing with that much rain!! Worked with lots of guys who were there, the stories of how much rain were crazy, snow as well.

And I had to chuckle at the name, we call our one daughter Gruber, short for McGruber. She would cry, and we would sing her the McGruber theme song from SNL, she would stop. So we called her that then shortened it to just Gruber. She's 15 and still answers to it, even with her friends around.

You made the right call by joining us here, lots of knowledge for whatever ails your rig.

Grube

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!!

Killer looking Rig you've got there!! Love those wheels and the tires, seems to be a good looking combo and functional as well, by the looks of your photo they'll be put to the test!! Also love the grill guard out front!! Thats a beautiful photograph btw!! The back drop couldn't be more fitting for that truck!!
Thanks for the welcome! The wheels are 18”, I think they’re from a newer Chevy as they have the Chevy logo hubcaps. Tires are 33” AMP Terrain Pro’s, they seem to be a BFG KO2 copycat. So far quite happy with their performance, picked them up for $650CAD installed.
Keep an eye on that barn door leak... just when you think you've found and solved the problem you'll find water in the truck. It can be a real enigma. I suspect there are multiple leakage paths, and everyone seems to have a different one with a different solution.
A lot of great info in your post, and thanks for the welcome! I’ve ordered new weatherstrip from rockauto for the rear door, and plan to lift the carpet to dry it out once it’s not -20C outside anymore! I think getting the door to close properly was only the start of the battle with that leak. At any rate, It’s a block of ice right now haha. I’m going to have to check my RPO code on the truck and get back to ya, and I just learned the VORTEC 5.7L isn’t TBI.. and that apparently that’s a great thing haha. Awesome!! Oh and no rear seat ac/heat controls, but I have ac and heat up front. Blue leather interior, front is power seats that feel like sitting on a couch. Could use reupholstery on driver seat.
Welcome from one province to your right.
That's a nice looking unit, decent price as well.

At least it's snow and not rain you have there.... don't know how y'all do it!!! Was offered many times to go out to Site-C, no way was I dealing with that much rain!! Worked with lots of guys who were there, the stories of how much rain were crazy, snow as well.

And I had to chuckle at the name, we call our one daughter Gruber, short for McGruber. She would cry, and we would sing her the McGruber theme song from SNL, she would stop. So we called her that then shortened it to just Gruber. She's 15 and still answers to it, even with her friends around.

You made the right call by joining us here, lots of knowledge for whatever ails your rig.
Thank you!!
Haha my buddy in Alberta sent me a picture of his thermometer today, no thanks!! -46 lmao. I never worked Site C, too busy further north at LNGC. It rains a lot in summer and -20 now in winter, lots of fun!

I kind of adopted the Grube name in my preteen years playing online games. Truthfully I can’t even remember why I chose it. But I still use it today haha
Welcome, nice truck and an awesome background to photograph it against. You are going to get so much information from the good people on this forum you will have all of your issues sorted out real quick.
Thank you!! Looking forward to the info overload, I’ll be learning a lot about this truck as I start to fix some things up and get er back into good working order!

Here is some more photos of truck, this was after its first wash after I bought it. You can see minimal, but visible rust in spots that I will be repairing. One dent on the whole truck, right rear quarter. Two rust spots where there is a hole, drivers rocker and right rear quarter. All other rust spots are just surface easily sanded, converted and painted. Passenger door seems to have been replaced at some point, with a door from a 2500 truck. So the right side door says 2500 and the left side door says 1500 haha, I’m probably just gonna leave that the way it is. Truck had 297,000km on odometer when I bought it, I rolled it over 300k yesterday. Lots of life left!! Just needs some TLC here and there. I’ll be adding Apple CarPlay to the dash at some point, upgrading speakers. Previous owner already swapped all interior lights on truck to LED.

Attachments

• IMG_1706.jpeg
    IMG_1706.jpeg
    625.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1709.jpeg
    IMG_1709.jpeg
    569.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1708.jpeg
    IMG_1708.jpeg
    493.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1707.jpeg
    IMG_1707.jpeg
    541.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1710.jpeg
    IMG_1710.jpeg
    367.7 KB · Views: 4

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck has a few oil leaks, seems like oil filter adapter housing is leaking and potentially intake manifold and/or valve cover hard to tell need to clean it up and investigate further.

There might be some leakage around the oil fill tube where it joins the valve cover, here’s the O-ring that’s required to fix it:

Thread 'Oil Filler Tube O-Ring'
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/oil-filler-tube-o-ring.65218/