New water pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
There is an old adage: "onto everyone's driveway, some coolant must spill"
Just be sure you dilute any spillage with water if you or anyone else in your neighborhood has dogs or cats that are outside. They like the taste of coolant but it'll kill them.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My buddy who owns the local NAPA gave me a good tip when replacing the water pump. Jack the front of the truck up a few inches to stop the coolant from leaking out of the block passages. Then you can have a clean and dry surface to mount the new pump.
take the pump off first then jack up the truck. You can also hold a rag over the opening and blast it a little with a blow gun.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. Take the pump off first and then jack up the front to stop the constant dripping so you can clean and dry the mounting surface for install. Good point.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I stuff rags in the ports with the ends hanging out to wick the coolant out while I'm doing other stuff. Then when I'm ready the coolant is lower than the edge of the block.