New shocks and Z-height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced my old hydraulic shocks with Bilstein 4600’s. I think the old shocks were original. Is there any chance the new shocks could affect my Z-height dimension? I could swear I had it set at 5 1/2” and now it measures 6”.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New shocks tend to have more seal friction than old shocks. Add in a tiny bit of lift from gas pressure...sure they'll raise the vehicle a LITTLE.

Bounce the suspension a few times, I bet it settles to within a fraction of an inch of "normal".

Which apparently is exactly what happened.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New shocks tend to have more seal friction than old shocks. Add in a tiny bit of lift from gas pressure...sure they'll raise the vehicle a LITTLE.

Bounce the suspension a few times, I bet it settles to within a fraction of an inch of "normal".

Which apparently is exactly what happened.

Actually I checked it again today. Measurements were the same as last time. The left side was slightly high about 1/4” above the specification. I cranked the bolt a bit and wasn’t getting a change. I then compared it to the right side. The left was cranked way tighter than the right. I backed it off to the same as the right and now the Z-height measures the same on both sides, 5 1/2”. I wonder if maybe the left was cranked tighter to compensate for a bad shock absorber.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Actually I checked it again today. Measurements were the same as last time. The left side was slightly high about 1/4” above the specification. I cranked the bolt a bit and wasn’t getting a change. I then compared it to the right side. The left was cranked way tighter than the right. I backed it off to the same as the right and now the Z-height measures the same on both sides, 5 1/2”. I wonder if maybe the left was cranked tighter to compensate for a bad shock absorber.

Or an enormous driver.