New guy, old Forest Service truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markbt73

Reaction score
Hey all, checking in from Portland, OR. Just bought a well-used '89 K1500 a few days ago. It's a former USDA Forest Service truck, in the classic toothpaste-green with a tan interior. 4.3 V6, 4 speed granny manual, just under 200,000 miles. Runs and drives great!

Pics:

You must be registered for see images

Plans are to fix up the interior a bit, and use it as a daily driver for work (I work for a sign company) and to pull our little '74 Venture camper trailer.

Anyway, hi...

markbt73

Reaction score
It's a Muncie SM465. I've seen them in 3/4 ton diesels before, but never a 1/2 ton V6. It might have been a special order for the Forest Service. It's a beast to drive in traffic, let me tell you...

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
my 89 1500 plow truck has a SM 465 in it. I believe its factory as per the previous owner who swapped a built BBC into it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What transmission is that? I thought only the NV3500 and NV4500 came in GMT400 trucks.

my 89 1500 plow truck has a SM 465 in it. I believe its factory as per the previous owner who swapped a built BBC into it.

SM465 was the standard HD manual trans used prior to 1992; the NV4500 wasn't available yet.

Why some early V6 work trucks were optioned with a non-O/D trans; I dunno. I've seen several with the 3L80 (aka TH400) instead of the 700R4/4L60.

Richard

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dad had an old 80s k1500 short bed 4x4 plow truck with a 3 speed manual with low gear. I plowed with that truck for probably 4 years. I was too young to give a **** about anything technical with vehicles, but that was definitely a mf'er after about 8 hours of plowing. I'm wondering if that was the same trans as OP's truck.

I then started plowing with a 93 k2500 6 lug with a 350 and an NV4500 and that one was MUCH easier to go 20+ hours with.

markbt73

Reaction score
Probably the same. I think they only made the one 3+granny gearbox. I'm getting used to it, but I really wish there was a gear between 1st and 2nd, it's a huge jump. Makes it hard to be smooth in traffic. The heavy clutch doesn't bother me much; my other car is a 1971 MGB, and I'm not sure this is really any heavier than that. But I can see how it would get tiring after a few hours of plowing snow...

Before I bought this one, I test-drove a '94 with a 350 and a 5 speed (NV3500?), and I didn't like that at all. Numb clutch, and very sloppy shift pattern. DOn't know if there was something wrong with it, or if that's just how they are.