New fuel pump and fuel pump relay. Injectors still arnt squirting fuel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
My truck was acting funny for about a week, I.e. - Wouldnt start sometimes, requierd a jump and my pedal to the floor to start it. It would bog down pretty bad, almost sounding like it was under water :(

In response, I replaced my fuel pump, and my distributor, and my fuel pump relay. Zero luck. My fuel filter was replaced by myself around 4 months ago. I also sea foamed my truck since then.

It started when my truck was acting funny, rough idle, hard to start, and once I got home from work one day, it took a dump on me

I went to oreillys and bought and new fuel pump and relay, but when i was replacing my fuel pump, i dropped the new on about 4 feet onto the concrete :nono:. The pump itself is visually fine. I even took it to oreilly and the guy at the counter looked at it and shook it around and said it should be fine, no worries.

Took it home and installed both parts, and it still doesnt squirt. The fuel pump doesnt even make the infamous buzzing sound when I turn the key over, but not start it.

My question; Could my fuel pump have broken? should I exchange it? or could it be my ignition module not sending the injectors the message to open up and work? Any ideas? It took me two days to get the fuel pump out. I would hate taking it all back apart.

Any insight would be very appreciated.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Yes, you probably broke a fuel pump that was crap to begin with. Stick with AC Delco or Delphi parts for stuff like that. Even if you didn't break it, the chance of it working at all or very long were slim.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Also, a quick and very dirty way to test if the pump is doing anything is to loosen one of the fittings at your fuel filter. If fuel doesn't spray out after your turn the key to on, your pump isn't working.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Check all the electrical first, make sure the pump is even getting power before you try and tear it all back apart.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Kinda surprises me the number of people that are averse to doing basic, necessary troubleshooting. If you think you have a fuel problem then test the pressure before you start throwing parts at it. A decent fuel pressure test kit costs less than even a crappy brand TBI fuel pump...

You may very well find that you have fuel pressure, and if so, the problem is likely going to be the ignition module. This can also be tested but beware a bad one can still test as "good" on the test equipment.

Richard