New Door Shell, or Just Buy Whole Used Door?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calamus

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a 1997 K1500 with both doors rusted through at the bottom, on the inside.

I'm wondering whether it will be more economical to buy 2 new door shells on LMC truck, and have my existing door hardware put onto them, or whether it will be more economical to find used doors, in good shape, that match my interior hardware/trim colour (it's navy blue interior)

considerations:
- Door shells will cost me about $400-450 from LMC inc. shipping. I will then have labour to swap existing 23 year old hardware out. risk of breaking things/ having worn parts needing to replace in the process. Not worried about paint, as Im in process of doing other body work and will have to paint the whole truck when done anyway.

- Unsure of quality of individual used doors. Have to match interior colour, but no disassembly/assembly of door hardware required. Unsure of price/availability. If I can't find locally would have to pay shipping anyway.

Has anyone done something similar? What route did you take? Even if you haven't done this, what is your opinion?

I'm restoring the truck, but not show restoring. I'm restoring a utility truck. It doesn't need to be all pretty and show worthy, but it needs to be solid quality, and reliable. Truck already has new cab corners, rocker panels, fenders, and almost complete suspension, wheels, and steering redo. When body panels are completed it will be painted with a bed liner paint job.

Thanks folks!

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Do yourself a HUGE favor and find a good used OEM door shell. Be aware even though doors are advertised as 88-98, there are two different door shells. A 88-94 and a 95-98 shell.

The big difference is one has the recess the inner door card sits in for the 95+ interior, the other doesn't. Both can work vice versa, with some cutting.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Either way your going to get deep into the doors and the jambs need painted. Even with used ones you have to get your wiring harness into it.

That being said, aftermarket doors are ill fitting even if it's some kind of certified/licensed restoration part it still comes from Taiwan.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yup I'd go for used doors too. You already know they fit, and there's a lot of wiring harness in there! If you don't already have them, a set of the little plastic panel and trim remover tools is very handy and not expensive. I swapped the second door on the driver's side on my Burb a few years back, and had to change the door panel. Most everything is attached by clips that you use these tools on. Haven't done a front door yet, but there's information on this forum about how to do this.