New Door Shell, or Just Buy Whole Used Door?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Used doors for sure. You can drive half way across the country to buy used doors faster than you can get aftermarket sheet metal to fit properly.
And a lot of the aftermarket stuff is paper thin and might be beat to hell by the time the shipper gets done with it.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I would vote for used doors from one of the rust free states. It's easy to transfer the interior parts to the "new" doors.

Ken

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The aftermarket sheetmetal parts for a gmt400 are stamped and formed on the dies and presses that they dismanteled in Detroit and Pontiac a d Gary Indiana and Canada and shipped to Mexico and Brazil.
Punch presses and line presses and extrusion presses bigger than your house were taken apart and moved to south of the border.
After 2008, dismantling was the biggest employer in Detroit.
And for the next 5 or so years,
The only employer in Detroit.
I cant believe that we all agree to live this way.
Kick the ***** out. Every gadamn one of them

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know what a factory regular cab door weighs (empty- just the door)? I'm trying to determine if I can get one shipped via Canada Post.
Idk how they do it up there but here you're usually looking at truck freight especially if it's in a wood crate or strapped to a pallet.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The aftermarket sheetmetal parts for a gmt400 are stamped and formed on the dies and presses that they dismanteled in Detroit and Pontiac a d Gary Indiana and Canada and shipped to Mexico and Brazil.
Punch presses and line presses and extrusion presses bigger than your house were taken apart and moved to south of the border.
After 2008, dismantling was the biggest employer in Detroit.
And for the next 5 or so years,
The only employer in Detroit.
I cant believe that we all agree to live this way.
Kick the ***** out. Every gadamn one of them

The original dies may have gone Mexico and Brazil to finish out production runs but most aftermarket sheet metal originates in Taiwan and has nothing to do with oem dies. Mid to late 2000's was a mass scrapping effort. Stuff from Detroit, cash for clunkers program,etc and mass shipping of steel to China during that time frame to help feed their industrial revolution. A lot of stuff from Detroit got recycled.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The original dies may have gone Mexico and Brazil to finish out production runs but most aftermarket sheet metal originates in Taiwan and has nothing to do with oem dies. Mid to late 2000's was a mass scrapping effort. Stuff from Detroit, cash for clunkers program,etc and mass shipping of steel to China during that time frame to help feed their industrial revolution. A lot of stuff from Detroit got recycled.
Yep, the aftermarket stuff is now mainly asian.
But, in a lot of cases they are using the dies that they bought from south of the border.
Which are now worn to hell and have been patched up over and over again.
The presses are still in south america being used for new production but are ancient.
Ive been in the metal fab and QC business since 1990.
I know what happened and it is all bullshit
our tax dollars at work

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
Yep, the aftermarket stuff is now mainly asian.
But, in a lot of cases they are using the dies that they bought from south of the border.
Which are now worn to hell and have been patched up over and over again.
The presses are still in south america being used for new production but are ancient.
Ive been in the metal fab and QC business since 1990.
I know what happened and it is all ********
our tax dollars at work
It's so sad our political and corporate 'leaders' sold out our manufacturing capability, for short term profit.