Need some thoughts on some potential interior mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

192Darkhorse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gents,

I have a 98 Ext cab and its got the gray interior. I dont mind it at all since it is very clean but its just soo much gray. I photo shopped the potential mods on an interior that looks exactly like mine for reference. (also chopped in my tint so it is more realistic) I am thinking about black floor mats (full coverage) and dying the headliner and door panels. Thoughts on comparison of what it might look like. I cant tell if I love it enough to do it. Thanks for any feedback.

Option 1 - gray as is
You must be registered for see images attach

Option 2 - Black mats, headliner, panels
You must be registered for see images attach

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about dying or finding colormatched fabric for the door panels too. I think it would look better than gray fabric in a gray door panel, doesn't have any contrast at all. A little boring. I am also toying with the idea of photoshopping some stuff with the seats to make them a little more interesting too. It's just tough to get the fine line between tasteful and gaudy.

So far, I think it would look cool, especially the black in the doors. It would make a big difference IMO.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Instead of black, I'd consider a dark (almost black) charcoal grey. Still get the effect that you want, without such a harsh contrast.
A dark headliner will make the interior of your vehicle seem smaller. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want. That's why smaller cars, such as older Beetles, came with white H/L's. Makes the interior feel light & airy. I've put black ones in old Volks', & they became a cave. With a larger H/L, such as yours, the effect won't be as noticeable, but it will give a 'closer' feeling. You're overhead console will help to break it up, though.

Larry523

Reaction score
+1

My '99 Suburban has the same interior (only in leather). The instrument cluster inlay and some of the overhead console trim is actually what GM called "graphite." It's a very dark gray. The leather on my front buckets is beginning to wear, so I'm going to have to recover them one of these days. I plan to redo the entire interior in a two-tone medium-gray/graphite, with inserts in the door panels, the seats, etc. I'm not sure about the carpet and mats yet. The gray carpet I've got is filthy and hopelessy stained with 12 years of grime. I'll probably replace it with the factory medium-gray, but I'm open to other options.

192Darkhorse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of black, I'd consider a dark (almost black) charcoal grey. Still get the effect that you want, without such a harsh contrast.
A dark headliner will make the interior of your vehicle seem smaller. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want. That's why smaller cars, such as older Beetles, came with white H/L's. Makes the interior feel light & airy. I've put black ones in old Volks', & they became a cave. With a larger H/L, such as yours, the effect won't be as noticeable, but it will give a 'closer' feeling. You're overhead console will help to break it up, though.

I like the "cave" feel...ever since I threw 5% tint all the way around and 50% on my windhsield I have loved how dark and closed in it feels. That is the reason I wanted to do the headliner. I would actually rather do dark grey on the floor but I ordered nifty catchall carpeted mats and they dont make dark charcoal for front and back only front. That is why I was debating whether or not to go with oem matching grey or black. I agree all black is a big contrast that is why I was considering the door panels that way the black on the doors would tie in the flloor mats and the headliner. Thoughts?

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I'd colormatch the interior door handle bezels to the darker gray color of your dash bezel, also the bezel around the power window buttons and lock on your door panel.

Colormatch all the vents the same darker color, and the seat levers.

Very subtle, but an eye catching factory look.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I like the doors with the black, if your doing the rest of the changes you want to do in black. One of the changes that I have done to my truck that really made a differrence, was to pull off the gauge bezel, including the vents & drink holders, took it all apart, & dyed the pieces dark grey, almost the color of dark grey that the inner part is now. Broke up all that light grey that the dash is now. Most people don't notice this change. I do, & I like it. I left the little control handles on the vents lt.grey just for the contrast, & also so that any dye build-up wouldn't effect their operation. You can also dye other pieces, such as the riser covers on the bottom of the seats. I covered mine with vinyl, 'cause, well, I can.
Since your using black, an over the counter spray-bomb dye will work great. Use TSP to wash down all the plastic parts first, rinse well. Let dry for 24 hrs before using the dye. Several light coats work better than one heavy one.
If your going to the black carpets, do the carpet on the bottom of your doors. Order extra, when you order the carpet kit. If you don't want try the carpet change on the doors yourself, it should be fairly inexpensive for an upholstery shop to do, if you just bring 'em the panels. Continue the carpet into the kick panels, in the indented part. That'll help break up all that grey, too.
When you change your carpet, use an 'ACC' carpet kit. (Auto Craft Carpets) You may be able to order directly from them. If not, most of the supplliers, such as LMC sell this brand. I've found that they are the best in quality & fit. Just make sure if you order carpets from someone other than ACC, that you specify that brand. Don't let someone say that Brand X is just as good. It ain't. You can install the carpet kit, yourself. Quik tip; put all the seat belt & seat bolts back in while the carpets are out. Makes them way easier to find under the new carpets. Start the carpet glueing from the centre of the d/s hump, & work out, cutting the holes for everything as you go.
While your doing all this, consider a sound deadener first. ('Brown Bag, Fat Mat, Dyna Mat' Doesn't matter as long as something is put in there.) Floors, headliner, & especially the doors. 70% of road noise comes through the doors.
Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I'd colormatch the interior door handle bezels to the darker gray color of your dash bezel, also the bezel around the power window buttons and lock on your door panel.

Colormatch all the vents the same darker color, and the seat levers.

Very subtle, but an eye catching factory look.

I did this to mine as well!