Need help picking out crate motor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Yeah... i just don't know anything about ATK motors. The other option are blueprint, but the ATK motors use Dart heads rather than their own manufactured heads.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
ATK is pretty well regarded in the Ford world. Alot of people buy the 460 shortblock to build from. I don't think either of the motor's you linked have Dart head's though, I bet they're remanned.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Here are the technical specs.

• Horsepower: 325
  • Torque: 375 lb/ft
  • Block: Seasoned OE 4 Bolt Main 1pc Seal Roller Block P/S Dipstick
  • Bore/Stroke: 4.040 x 3.480
  • Displacement: 350 C.I.D.
  • Crankshaft: OE Cast Crank 3.480" Stroke Externally Balanced Rear/Internal Front 1pc.
  • Connecting Rods: OE Powder Metal 5.700" Stock Bolts
  • Pistons: Hypereutectic
  • Piston Rings: Moly Rings
  • Compression Ratio: 9.1:1 Compression
  • Camshaft: Hydraulic Flat Tappet
  • Camshaft Specifications: 224/224 @050 .465in/.488ex 112LSA
  • Camshaft Bearings: Installed & Clocked to OEM Position
  • Cylinder Heads: Dart Cast Iron 75cc 1.94/1.50
  • Freeze Plugs: Brass Installed & Sealed
  • Rocker Arms: Stamped Steel 1.5 Ratio
  • Oil Galley Plugs: Installed & Sealed
  • Oil Pan: OE 5qt.
    Weight:450

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I could go for a bigger motor, or something better equipped for towing, i just really want a mild 350. I just dont want it to be a dog in the 3500 crew cab truck haha.

Cummins swap would be $3-4k for a used stock motor that i know nothing about, plus then i'd have at least another 1500 to convert it. Six five rebuild would easily be $3k. Especially since my block is cracked haha.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Huh, I read this in the link, I took OE head's to mean some remanned 882's

These ATK High Performance GM 350 325HP Stage 3 crate engines include the following:

* Handpicked, remanufactured blocks
* OE cylinder heads
* Intake manifold
* Carburetion
* OE crankshaft and connecting rods
* Hypereutectic flat-top pistons
* Hydraulic flat tappet camshaft
* .465 int./.488 exh. cam lift
* 224 int./234 exh. cam duration @ 0.50
* 9.1:1 compression
* Distributor, spark plugs, and plug wires
* Valve covers
* Timing cover and timing set
* Oil pan, pump, and pickup tube
* Water pump
* Front damper and flexplate

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Yeah and i know its not bad. Its just nice and convenient to drop it in and turn the key. We've got to get the old 6.5 fuel system out, and the new gas fuel system in.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I had an extremely bad, rather piss poor, sh!tty experience with an ATK engine. Nothing but problems. Then nothing but BS from the clown of a loss prevention flunky warranty department manager. This was a mass produced L31 longblock. ATK's actual hi-po shop is supposed to turn out good work, (when you hirw them to hand build an engine for you) but I'd be real leary about anything else from there. Me, never again.

If this is the options you have, and nothing else, a $500 difference should be considered strictly for the reliability of a roller cam setup over a flat tappet setup. Seriously.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Thats exactly what i wanted to hear. Thank you. What issues did you have, and what have you heard about blueprint?

I haven't heard much about ATK, i've been searching the internet relentlessly for reviews on all of the ones that summit/jegs sells.

I've got the flexibility to do some different things from a financial standpoint. I just don't want to end up putting more motor in the truck than i need. I want it to have more than 195HP, but i don't need a 400HP crate motor if that makes sense. Its just a driver, nothing more. Doesn't need a ton of power.

Last edited: