NBS master cylinder Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine went bonkers so I fixed it with a $40 sensor. . .
Mine was making my truck unsafe to drive. Twitchy steering That would throw you all over the place if you slightly turned it. Deleting it was the best option for me. Truck has 190k on it, so why not throw a new power steering pump on it anyways ‍♂️

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Mine was making my truck unsafe to drive. Twitchy steering That would throw you all over the place if you slightly turned it. Deleting it was the best option for me. Truck has 190k on it, so why not throw a new power steering pump on it anyways ‍♂️

Mine did the same so I unplugged it and around 260k replaced the column sensor. I'm glad you're happy but I don't follow your logic.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having driven plenty of older GMs the EVO setup felt like crap. I was happy that it gave the older GM power steering feel once the solenoid was unplugged. No more wrestling the steering wheel with no assist at highway speeds while fighting stiff cross winds. In my opinion atleast the vans should have never had the EVO it is boarderline unsafe. Putting EVO on GMs excellent power steering system destroyed the function of the system. I have had some crosswinds hit the thing so hard it takes a quick 180° turn of the wheel to keep it in the same lane. I personally like the being able to steer with 1 finger kind of assist.

My C2500 Suburban has EVO and it's the only GMT400 I've ever driven so don't know what non EVO is like. Is it - as sounds - parking speed light at highway speeds?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I changed the PS pump on my 00 K3500 I got a remanufactured one from the local parts store. The old one had that little EVO valve. The new one just said to remove that portion and tape the wire connector back. I was puzzled what the heck that thing was, as I had never seen it before.

It was months later I read here about the EVO thing, LOL. I can't say I felt any difference before or after. Don't even know if it was working before, LOL.

Interestingly, some of the early GMT800 trucks apparently had it, perhaps 99-02, not sure. On my 99 Silverado I'm doing an engine swap there are some pins on the engine wiring harness that say something EVO, but mine are empty and doesn't have EVO.

I thought that EVO thing was meant for a more nimble feeling at low speed, more tailored to soccer Moms driving SUVs? Or so I read here. Don't know why any 2500/3500 truck would have it or need one?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
b x x.อ.

Basically

Easiest way to determine if you like the feel is to unplug the connector going into the solenoid at the pump.

Can also disconnect under the column for the same effect.

Properly functioning EVO gives very light steering in the parking lot and a heavier feeling once moving. It doesn't feel as pronounced in the dually, but as said before it has smaller tires. YMMV but once I got off my ass and fixed it on my 1500 I was in love with it. Way better than throwing in the towel and deleting it under the guise of less stuff to fail especially if you're doing it with a parts store reman pump. God only knows what core they started with. The pump and box should be matched or else who knows what kind of feel you'll get. My pump and box in my 1500 came from a wrecked dually and looked to be original. The box in my dually is a reman, so that may account for the EVO feel being less distinctive.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine did the same so I unplugged it and around 260k replaced the column sensor. I'm glad you're happy but I don't follow your logic.
Logic was pretty simple. I fixed the evo issue 3 weeks ago. Chevrolet no longer makes the EVO. You cannot buy one aftermarket. There is a TSB that recommends to bypass it. The evo was a good idea, but the failure makes for a dangerous driving situation. So I deleted it. Now it’s safe to drive again and that problem cannot happen ever again.

Man, I didn’t mean to start an evo discussion, I was just trying to say if you go hydroboost, use hoses from a 94-95 truck so you can directly connect them into the back of the power steering so there’s less chance of a leak...

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man, I didn’t mean to start an evo discussion, I was just trying to say if you go hydroboost, use hoses from a 94-95 truck so you can directly connect them into the back of the power steering so there’s less chance of a leak...

It's fine. I was enjoying the thread. We went from nbs mc to full blown mc basics, to evo, way I see it keep going maybe well hit the engine next lol:)

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's fine. I was enjoying the thread. We went from nbs mc to full blown mc basics, to evo, way I see it keep going maybe well hit the engine next lol:)
Hey someone might be googling "NBS MC swaps", and this may have just become the new ultimate "Should I swap the MC, or hydroboost?" And yes... Hydroboost all the way! :welcome:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Logic was pretty simple. I fixed the evo issue 3 weeks ago. Chevrolet no longer makes the EVO. You cannot buy one aftermarket. There is a TSB that recommends to bypass it. The evo was a good idea, but the failure makes for a dangerous driving situation. So I deleted it. Now it’s safe to drive again and that problem cannot happen ever again.

I think we're OK it's not like we're calling names, but it's not the valve at the pump that fails it's the sensor on the column under the dash. Despite that, I have an extra EVO valve and would be wise to hoard more because you're right, nobody is making them. You're not the only EVO hater on here but your post gave me an opportunity to sing its praises to those who may be on the fence.