NBS master cylinder Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Appreciate the response Kenny, but it doesn't really answer my question. I'm more concerned about boost at higher speeds. With the EVO in full boost (column sensor unplugged) the steering is way too sensitive at 50+ MPH.

With a proper delete it's not as over boosted as merely unplugging the thing. My flipper dually has an AC Delco reman pump with the delete and the feel is pretty much the same as the earlier trucks.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Appreciate the response Kenny, but it doesn't really answer my question. I'm more concerned about boost at higher speeds. With the EVO in full boost (column sensor unplugged) the steering is way too sensitive at 50+ MPH.
I didnt try disconnecting sensors. I didnt want my system in full boost all of the time. I remember write up on here and other places where someone unplugged the sensor and then had leak issues because of the system being in full boost all of the time. Like I said, I didnt do that. I need a new pump so just did away with EVO when I replaced the pump. I am very happy with the results. You can buy just the EVO bybass pipe, and do it your self.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most everyone uses their brakes incorrectly.

OK, that's a bold statement, and it does matter what your priorities are. When I transported my elderly and infirm parents and in-laws, I used my brakes incorrectly, too. Their comfort meant more to me than brake life. Obviously, when coming down the mountain with a trailer load, or in an emergency, or driving on wet/icy/gravel roads, you don't have a lot of options--you're going to brake however you need to to get stopped.

Ideally, when there is a choice, to maximize brake life, the faster you go, the harder you stop. As your speed reduces, particularly below 15--20 mph, you begin releasing pedal pressure. As the vehicle comes to a stop, you're releasing even more pressure. The suspension returns to near-normal height in front just as the vehicle stops.

While stopped, you're holding only as much pressure as it takes to remain stopped--you're not hard on the pedal.

WHY:

• The rotors are vented. Drums usually have fins cast into them. Rotors and drums are designed to get hot, They're also designed to move cooling air.
  • The pads/shoes are insulators in addition to being friction material
  • Brake fluid (especially old fluid) expands when hot, potentially boiling if it's absorbed water.
  • Most brake fluids LOVE to absorb water
  • The most-contaminated fluid is usually in the wheel cylinders/calipers.
  • Wheel cylinders including calipers have rubber parts in them, wheel cylinders do better if they don't get overly-warm.

SO:
Vented rotors are essentially centrifugal air pumps. The faster they spin, the more cooling air they move. At low speed, they don't move much air. Braking hard at high speed creates heat, but the rotor is turning fast and pumping lots of cooling air. The rotor gets hot, which is fine. It's designed to get hot. The cooling air carries away the heat, and everything is good.

The pads get hot on the surface that contacts the rotor. Pads are designed to take some heat. "Street" compound friction material works good when cold, better when warm, and not so good when really hot. "Racing" pad material works better when hot, but doesn't really apply to street-driven vehicles.

If the pads stay in contact with a hot rotor, eventually they get hot all the way through, and then they transfer heat to the caliper.

The caliper transfers heat to the fluid. Bad things happen then.

Use the brakes harder when there's more cooling airflow. DON'T glide to a stop with the brakes applied gently for a long time; that gives heat time to travel through the brake pad and warm the caliper and fluid.

And don't clamp the pads tighter than needed to the hot rotor when stopped, for the same reason. HOT friction material can actually transfer to the HOT iron--rotor or drum. Then you have brake pulsing until it wears off again.

Get ON the brakes, and then get OFF the brakes. The point is to let the iron (rotor and drum) get hot while they're still turning fast enough to pump air, while minimizing the temperature and time-at-temperature of the pad, caliper, and fluid. It makes more difference with disc brakes, but it's worthwhile on drums, too.

Folks will ***** that you're trying to "throw them through the windshield" and "you're really hard on your brakes". In fact, your brake linings will last longer. Taking a long time, braking too gently, is what's hard on brake linings and brake fluid. You put a lot of heat into the rotor when it's turning too slow to pump cooling air; and you brake for a long time so that heat travels through the pad into the caliper and fluid.
Finally something I do right by nature. [emoji16]
When people say I am a bad driver I will have to tell them that I am saving my breaks.[emoji16]

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
With a proper delete it's not as over boosted as merely unplugging the thing. My flipper dually has an AC Delco reman pump with the delete and the feel is pretty much the same as the earlier trucks.

Thanks, this is what I suspected. If doing the EVO delete properly resulted in the same level of steering boost as unplugging the column sensor I can't imagine GM would've ever recommended it. I've driven both of my '97s on the highway with the column sensors unplugged and it was unpleasant to say the least.

Looks like I'm going to have to stockpile some junkyard parts, I'm team EVO. I really like it when it's working properly, and in my experience the only thing that usually fails is the column sensor which is an easy fix (and still being produced by GM, so easy to find).

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, this is what I suspected. If doing the EVO delete properly resulted in the same level of steering boost as unplugging the column sensor I can't imagine GM would've ever recommended it. I've driven both of my '97s on the highway with the column sensors unplugged and it was unpleasant to say the least.

Looks like I'm going to have to stockpile some junkyard parts, I'm team EVO. I really like it when it's working properly, and in my experience the only thing that usually fails is the column sensor which is an easy fix (and still being produced by GM, so easy to find).

Mine is not twitchy at all at highways speeds. With EVO functioning properly it always felt like you were trying to turn an oak tree rooted in the ground.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is not twitchy at all at highways speeds. With EVO functioning properly it always felt like you were trying to turn an oak tree rooted in the ground.

Steering feel, like so many other things, is very subjective. Seeing the different perspectives is an excellent indicator of just how different EVO is from its predecessor.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not to drag the conversation back to EVO but I'd like some clarification here if anyone can provide it. How does a truck actually behave after deleting EVO compared to when the EVO system is intact and functional?

The reason I ask is what you two stated about unplugging things to "test the feel without EVO." I've never unplugged the solenoid on the pump, but I have unplugged the column sensor which puts the system in full boost all the time. Simply put, that sucks. I can't understand why anyone would be advocating the EVO delete if that's what it makes the system feel like. Steering that over boosted feels unsafe to me at high speed.

I've seen other people say that deleting the EVO results in a constant boost level but less than full, which would be much more reasonable.

On another note I swear I've seen someone mention fine tuning the boost level by restricting fluid flow at some point in the system...

TL;DR Deleting the EVO properly doesn't really provide the same result as unplugging the column sensor does it?
So there’s 2 ways to disable the evo but you will end up with 2 different results. If you unplug the solenoid or column sensor, the PS pump goes into full power mode. You may hear it wine and the steering will feel very effortless. There is excessive pressure coming from the pump because it’s not regulated. If you install the evo delete kit, you are making your truck like a 96 and older rig. The pressure is set and regulated by the adapter installed in the back of the PS pump. You are now driving an older rig feel wise. The steering, especially with bigger tires will feel somewhat sluggish in a parking lot at slow speeds, and at higher speeds, the steering will feel normal. Not too stiff, not too sloppy. Just right. In a pinch you can unplug the evo valve if it starts misbehaving, but I would recommend to properly delete it. There’s no CEL when it starts failing. Your steering gets really jerky, which is pretty unsafe.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So there’s 2 ways to disable the evo but you will end up with 2 different results. If you unplug the solenoid or column sensor, the PS pump goes into full power mode. You may hear it wine and the steering will feel very effortless. There is excessive pressure coming from the pump because it’s not regulated. If you install the evo delete kit, you are making your truck like a 96 and older rig. The pressure is set and regulated by the adapter installed in the back of the PS pump. You are now driving an older rig feel wise. The steering, especially with bigger tires will feel somewhat sluggish in a parking lot at slow speeds, and at higher speeds, the steering will feel normal. Not too stiff, not too sloppy. Just right. In a pinch you can unplug the evo valve if it starts misbehaving, but I would recommend to properly delete it. There’s no CEL when it starts failing. Your steering gets really jerky, which is pretty unsafe.

When mine failed it steered normally except at idle like when parking. No assist and it would chatter the pump pressure and therefore the steering wheel. Pump has never whined. Even with EVO the pump pressure is still regulated. The only leak I have experienced is the hydroboost that came off a van that already had 300K on it and even that took several years to start leaking. As I mentioned before I had previously installed a big power steering cooler.