My new project truck: '99 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Junkyard got it in, not as a parts vehicle, but as a complete "builder" unit. I found it less than two hours after it arrived, and was trying to negotiate a deal on it. They forgot to lock it, and by the time I came back the next day, people had already started stipping it. All I got was the cluster and the fig light switch.

Ah, yes! I've slept since then, LOL

Yes, junkyards are crazy as well.

I was over in Ft. Worth the other day at a small junkyard. I was pulling some sensors underneath this truck. Then all of the sudden some kid and his handicap/drunk buddy show up and start wrenching on the bumper, LOL. I was like, "damn, wait your f$#@ turn!"

Anyway, we talked a little and got to talk about transmissions...the guy had already blown 2 and was on his third! ‍♂️

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Ah, yes! I've slept since then, LOL

Yes, junkyards are crazy as well.

I was over in Ft. Worth the other day at a small junkyard. I was pulling some sensors underneath this truck. Then all of the sudden some kid and his handicap/drunk buddy show up and start wrenching on the bumper, LOL. I was like, "damn, wait your f$#@ turn!"

Anyway, we talked a little and got to talk about transmissions...the guy had already blown 2 and was on his third! ‍♂️

Ha! That's funny.
Next time you head to Ft. Worth to go to a junkyard, you should let me know. :anitoof:

Dravec

Reaction score
Welp, the $1000 K1500 Burb is gone now. Never did hear back from the seller.

I've found a '95 or '96 ecsb K1500 on my way to work. Has no info on it other than they want $5000 for it. If I was to play the "what you see is what you get" game, I'm tempted to call it a '96 6.5 Detroit diesel Z71. It has a diesel bumper on it, and the solid center caps. But it has absolutely zero information scribbled on the windshield or windows. And we all know a diesel bumper is a super popular upgrade to a gas rig. So guess we'll just have to try and get more info on it.

I've also found a '96 C2500 Burb that is a 6.5 rig. Missing the grille and bumper (seller says he used some body parts on his other 400) for $2500. Motor supposedly runs fine but loses prime overnight. Unkown condition otherwise.

I really do like the idea of a 6.5 for daily driver status, just because better mileage. And I love how they sound. Much better than a Cummins to me.

Dravec

Reaction score
So, should I go for the rarer but more expensive 6.5 Z71? (if that's what it actually is)

Or the cheaper, most likely problem child Burb?

:anitoof::anitoof:

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Tough call, 'burb will be the "more comfortable" driver, but the Z71 does have a bed?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1500 Z71 4x4 6.5 TD? Really? Those are actually pretty rare around here. Not a lot of information on the 6.5 TD on this site, unfortunately. I think @***** has one in Italy?

Wasn't this the only 1500 that got the heavy duty transmission and rear end? (except for the SS, of course.)

I'd like to see that one!

Dravec

Reaction score
1500 Z71 4x4 6.5 TD? Really? Those are actually pretty rare around here. Not a lot of information on the 6.5 TD on this site, unfortunately. I think @***** has one in Italy?

Wasn't this the only 1500 that got the heavy duty transmission and rear end? (except for the SS, of course.)

I'd like to see that one!

As far as I can tell, it looks stock as hell. It's not wearing oversized tires, no extra lights or external doo-dads. Just seems to be a reasonably clean, seemingly unmolested original truck. And it has a chrome diesel bumper that looks to be about the same age as the truck. Has a couple of small dings and scratches in the chrome.

And yeah, that should have the 80E in it rather than the 60E. If it actually is a 6.5 truck.

I'll see if I can snag a pick or two on the way home.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, it looks stock as hell. It's not wearing oversized tires, no extra lights or external doo-dads. Just seems to be a reasonably clean, seemingly unmolested original truck. And it has a chrome diesel bumper that looks to be about the same age as the truck. Has a couple of small dings and scratches in the chrome.

And yeah, that should have the 80E in it rather than the 60E. If it actually is a 6.5 truck.

I'll see if I can snag a pick or two on the way home.

I think they also got the 14BFF? I think that's correct...

I saw a green C1500 TD not that long ago on Offerup. But you are right, the TD front bumper is a pretty common mod. Who knows.