My Flat Tappet Cam Wiped Out So I Decided To Go Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is different. Horsepower is just a different unit for work. Work is what we are really talking about when we move things like trucks.
Ultimately torque is what turns the tires. HP is a measure or calculation of how quickly that torque can perform the work.

As I said earlier, two 600 hp engines, semi diesel vs supercharged gas V8. The one with more torque is going to move more weight from a stop because it can put more torque to the tires through the available gearing.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the example above lets say the diesel makes 600 hp @ 1,500 rpm and the gas v8 makes its peak at 6,000 rpm. You could gear the V8 with a 4:1 gear reduction so its 550 ft/lbs is ~2,200 ft/lbs @ 1,500 rpm output speed of the gear reduction setup. Now the Gas V8 will make the same torque as the Diesel to the transmissions input shaft but it has to spin 6,000 rpm vs 1,500 of the diesel. Its easy to see why semi trucks use large, slow turning diesels and can run millions of miles. They are making the same HP, but loads of torque. Torque is what ultimately turns the tires to propel the vehicle.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ultimately torque is what turns the tires. HP is a measure or calculation of how quickly that torque can perform the work.

Torque is a force. You can make 1 ft-lb or a 1000 ft-lb and do the same amount of work.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Torque is a force. You can make 1 ft-lb or a 1000 ft-lb and do the same amount of work.
Put a torque wrench on your pinon nut on your differential and try to move your truck with 1 ft/lb of input torque and let me know how that works out for you!

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put a torque wrench on your pinon nut on your differential and try to move your truck with 1 ft/lb of input torque and let me know how that works out for you!

Give me a lever and a place to stand and I can move the Earth.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:popcorn: :wave:

I just got home from lunch and a trip to HF to pick up an engine hoist and stand - another $336 to add to my build thread :roflbow:

Maybe I'll swap out my 4.11s to 5.56s so my 355 can get out of the hole - NOT!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:popcorn: :wave:

I just got home from lunch and a trip to HF to pick up an engine hoist and stand - another $336 to add to my build thread :roflbow:

Maybe I'll swap out my 4.11s to 5.56s so my 355 can get out of the hole - NOT!

Fun stuff.

Here is what cubes and stroke does. A 383 rotating assembly is not much if any different in cost than a 355 setup. The difference is merely some clearence grinding labor. A 383 will make a further jump compared to a 350 in this comparison, keeping everything else the same.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to burst your bubble, It'll stay ~a 10:1 350 or 355 depending.
You were wanting to go to 4-bolt mains for future power increases but you don't want to punch it out to a 383? Either stay with a 2-bolt 350 and close the door on future power upgrades, or go 4-bolt 383. It's cheap, right now. If you're not feeling it, I get it, but if you feel froggy, jump! I agree with @L31MaxExpress that your cam will be a little tamer in a larger engine.

I think the big question is if you have the same cam and heads, will a larger displacement be more taxing on the TBI?