My Flat Tappet Cam Wiped Out So I Decided To Go Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either stay with a 2-bolt 350 and close the door on future power upgrades, or go 4-bolt 383. It's cheap, right now. If you're not feeling it, I get it, but if you feel froggy, jump! I agree with @L31MaxExpress that your cam will be a little tamer in a larger engine.
I am getting a quote on a 383 crank and machining but, it ain't cheap (none of this is) unless you go with junk builders like mentioned on earlier posts. The Blue Print 383 short block starts @ $4199. Whatever I do, this is the last time I wanna have to :33:

I think the big question is if you have the same cam and heads, will a larger displacement be more taxing on the TBI?
Yes, that's part of my decision making. With 170cc runners, it'll be a torque monster but not so much on top end. My 46mm Throttle Body probably won't be big enough for higher revs either but, the 50mm off a 7.4L will. These are all considerations I need to look at and weigh. The builder also mentioned splayed main caps for my 2 bolt block - just that much more in parts and machining.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I definitely regret not going 383 route on my truck 355 i built a few years back. it was meant to be budget build but i think it's worth the extra cost.

heskahoka

Reaction score
Another question: Do you really need the more power and torque from a 383? I love updated and stroked motors and cool guy parts, but what is your use case?
Many times we can get into the spiral of 'just one more thing', but maybe a 355 is more than you had and is enough for this vehicle?

I have a 305 in my newly acquired 97 and am tickled pink with it. Enough power and torque to do my truck stuff, but looks and sounds like it has more than it does. Plus, it gets really good mileage.
Something to think about.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another question: Do you really need the more power and torque from a 383? I love updated and stroked motors and cool guy parts, but what is your use case?
Many times we can get into the spiral of 'just one more thing', but maybe a 355 is more than you had and is enough for this vehicle?

I have a 305 in my newly acquired 97 and am tickled pink with it. Enough power and torque to do my truck stuff, but looks and sounds like it has more than it does. Plus, it gets really good mileage.
Something to think about.

I do not regret the 383 in the van at all. The old 350 had plenty of power realistically but the 383 is better on fuel than the 350 that came out of it. Just not on the go pedal as hard to get moving or climbing grades. I can get from a stop to 80 mph quickly without breaking 3,000 rpm. The added torque is also nice for 2 lane passing, nudge the pedal and it goes.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Blue Print 383 short block starts @ $4199.
The Blueprint 383 also has a brand new block that they cast. Personally, I'd be looking for a Eagle or Scat stroker kit that bolts in, but don't bother spending on balancing the rotating assembly. The stroker kits are only about $100 more than the stock rotating assembly you posted a few pages back. Get splayed main caps and take it all to the machine shop so they can bore and hone to a perfect fit. Have them notch the block and balance the rotating assembly.

Or...

Get a junkyard bottom end and have your machine shop inspect and magnaflux the crank. Have them recondition the rods and pistons. Bolt it in with new bearings. Spend the saved money on a Cozumel vacation with the wife.
Yes, I have been researching all this for my next engine build.