My Flat Tappet Cam Wiped Out So I Decided To Go Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM still had the ZZx shortblock for a resonable price last I checked. Compared to having a short block built now it may be a cheaper alternative.

I called them and looked at Speedway, that short block (and most everything from Chevy Performance) has been unavailable since last July. All they have is long blocks available anymore. He suggested I look at other builders.

Color me Still Looking.

I'm gonna tear this one down and see what happened and what I can salvage, I sure it's all gunked up with metal pieces, should be stripped, washed and rebuilt. With it being a 2 bolt main, I'm not sure it'll be worth that. Hopefully the heads (they should be), cam and lifters are still good.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I called them and looked at Speedway, that short block (and most everything from Chevy Performance) has been unavailable since last July. All they have is long blocks available anymore. He suggested I look at other builders.

Color me Still Looking.

I'm gonna tear this one down and see what happened and what I can salvage, I sure it's all gunked up with metal pieces, should be stripped, washed and rebuilt. With it being a 2 bolt main, I'm not sure it'll be worth that. Hopefully the heads (they should be), cam and lifters are still good.
Performance block should be align bored anyway. Splayed main caps are affordible and relatively easy to have fitted prior to align bore.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can go with a 350, 383 or 395(6) with the 350 block. Depending on damage found, they also make a 3.50" stroke crank that can be used to bring the pistons closer to the deck with less decking of the block.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can go with a 350, 383 or 395(6) with the 350 block. Depending on damage found, they also make a 3.50" stroke crank that can be used to bring the pistons closer to the deck with less decking of the block.
There's not a lot of engine builders around here, I do have a line on one shop.

Has anyone heard of these guys in TX?
www.mabbco.com/catalog/auto/national-short-block-program-no-core-required/manufacturer/chevrolet/gm-chevrolet-57-350-short-block-1987-1995-tbi-roller-4-bolt-main-no-core-required-90-day-limited-warranty/

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure what your budget is but check out Blueprint Engines if you haven't already. I know they used to test a lot of those on Engine Masters and seemed pretty good.
They only show 383 short blocks for over $4K, I did fill out their questionnaire asking if they have a 350 TBI short block with flat top pistons and roller cam bosses - we'll see.

Thanks again!

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I am so bummed that this happened to you. I’m kind of in the same boat, looking for good short blocks or long blocks to drop in my ‘95. I was looking at blueprint engine’s 383 short block, but it is $4,100.