My Flat Tappet Cam Wiped Out So I Decided To Go Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does EBL deal with it? Seems it can go both ways.
Yes, the EBL is capable of running IAT. I'd just have to install the sensor, hook it up to the EBL, turn it on in the calibration, and play with it too.
You must be registered for see images attach

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We got it all buttoned up. Man, the right side header was a B*tch to bolt back up to the Y pipe. Maybe next time (hope there's not gonna be one for a while) I'll tack weld the bolts to the headers. With headers, the dipstick tube has been a challenge to mount, I didn't wanna rely simply on RTV at the block. I remembered I had a long tie strap left over from the header wrap so, I strapped the dipstick tube to the header ;)

Then I hooked up my laptop to the EBL, confirmed all sensors were working and started it up. Ran it until the T-Stat opened up, and finished topping it off with the funnel. It took a little over 2 gallons. This is my son's 3rd MATCO funnel so far :biggrin:

Then he disconnected the EST Bypass wire (by the firewall near the trans dipstick tube) and I started it up. It took some cranking, I finally had to give it some throttle to get it started, and had to keep it there to keep it running. The timing was at 5° BTDC, he set it to zero and I shut it off. He hooked the wire back and I started it back up. I still had to keep it running with the throttle. Watching my laptop, I saw the IAC was being commanded up to 100 counts (145 is about wide open) trying to get the idle up to 700 RPM. I had my son turn the min stop screw in 1/4 turn at a time and watched the IAC counts start to come down, we got it down to ~50 before the TPS showed it wasn't at Idle anymore and the RPMs went up to ~1200. He backed it down ~1/8 turn until it showed "At Idle" and "Throttle Closed". The idle went back down to ~700 and IAC at ~50 counts. I may have to go back in and adjust the TPS so I can get the counts down closer to ~10+ At idle his timing light showed it was running ~25° BTDC.

So, we went for a ride to get gas (I put in regular this time). It was OK off the line, good in the middle range (~2000 - 4500), and flattened out on higher end up to 5000 RPM. When I came up to a stop sign, the idle dropped to ~500 before the stall saver kicked in to get it back up to ~700. I think I'm gonna raise the desired idle to ~800.

Now I have some tweaking to do!:rolleyes: I think I'll go back to a calibration from the CD that came with the EBL. Maybe closer to an LS timing table to start and then, VE learn, save, VE Learn, save, rinse and repeat, round off tables, and continue. I saw the Knock Sensor was working when I rapped it up so, I'll work on that too once I get my other tables dialed in better. Right now, the MAP sensor is reading ~60, with my other cam it was ~40 - 45. I had it set to go into Open Loop at idle. IDK if I'll keep it that way or try CL to see what happens.

IMO, a success so far :waytogo:
turn ignition off wait 10 seconds and restart, EBL resets what idle position is so there is no need to adjust TPS. when the min air screw is that far out of adjustment i screw it in until the idle flag switches off, turn it off wait 10 then restart. idle flag should be back on and you continue to adjust min air. with a full hest soaked engine you want 5-15 iac counts on TBI. I shoot for 10....

Yes I would set initial 6-10* @ distributor. that along with playing with the VE table in the cranking areas really makes TBI start QUICK.

The TBI F & B-bodys had an IAT installed in the air cleaner. You can use a CTS and install into a vac port on the intake manifold too.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW - With my engine running @ ~60 KPA, Bob suggested I adjust my MALF33 to 78 so I don't get any false codes.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EBL resets what idle position is so there is no need to adjust TPS. when the min air screw is that far out of adjustment i screw it in until the idle flag switches off, turn it off wait 10 then restart. idle flag should be back on and you continue to adjust min air. with a full hest soaked engine you want 5-15 iac counts on TBI. I shoot for 10....
Thanks, I'll try that.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did some changes to the .bin like, raised Idle Speed: Park/Neut to 750 and Drive to 700 and SA table around Idle KPAs. Then set it up for "Learn VE". Started it up and let it get to full temp.

As @tayto suggested, I screwed in the min idle screw 1/2 turn, it showed off-idle, turned it off and, yes the EBL reset the idle flag (learn something new everyday). Did it 3 more times and got the IAC Commanded Steps down to ~20.

After that, I ran some Learn VEs mostly around idle in Park and in Gear. Each time I loaded the modified .bin, restarted it, the IAC Command went down so, I unscrewed the min stop, rinse and repeat about 5 times until my WBO2 showed ~14 from originally ~10 :waytogo: . If I had to guess I probably wound up with the min stop about the same position - interesting that when it was running pig rich caused the IAC to open up so much.

When starting warm it drags a little like the timing is too far advanced maybe? Anyway, we're gonna set Initial Timing to ~10° BTDC before I go out and run some logs and learn VEs.

I haven't touched the SA tables yet.

As usual any help is greatly appreciated. That's why I started this thread - to help anyone if I can AND get help from anyone I can! :deal: I especially want to thank everyone for chiming in so far :biggrin:

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
for setting your initial get the engine good and heat soaked and turn engine off and wait about 5 minutes. if you keep your laptop on you can watch the coolant temp go up, once it spikes try restarting and see if your starter kicks back or engine hard starts. if it does back initial off 2* and repeat process.

once you get min air set, there are parameters so you can setup your WOT. i found my throttle body was going full open but only showing 85% in scantool. can't remember the name(s) something todo with gain...

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
for setting your initial get the engine good and heat soaked and turn engine off and wait about 5 minutes. if you keep your laptop on you can watch the coolant temp go up, once it spikes try restarting and see if your starter kicks back or engine hard starts. if it does back initial off 2* and repeat process.

once you get min air set, there are parameters so you can setup your WOT. i found my throttle body was going full open but only showing 85% in scantool. can't remember the name(s) something todo with gain...
I have been using Vortec PMGR starters for so long (close to 20 years on all my small blocks) I forget that the old Delco ones have trouble. The old ~100K mile Vortec starter had no difficulty starting my 11:1 383 with 16° initial when I ran it with a carb before it went into the van. It did not even slow that starter down.

10* I previously stated may cause the old stock style starter to have issues hot.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been using Vortec PMGR starters for so long (close to 20 years on all my small blocks) I forget that the old Delco ones have trouble. The old ~100K mile Vortec starter had no difficulty starting my 11:1 383 with 16° initial when I ran it with a carb before it went into the van. It did not even slow that starter down.

10* I previously stated may cause the old stock style starter to have issues hot.
I was thinking about getting a PMGR starter but, this one has double windings, like a 454 starter, and has never had an issue with cranking it over. Remember, this is with initial timing set at zero. Before, when engine was cold, it'd fire up after ~2 seconds of cranking. When it was hot, probably with one revolution, it'd fire right up. We'll see what it does with more advance and tweaking some fuel, maybe? If not, she'll get a starter-ectomy.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

ya i went to a PMGR on my truck, WAY BETTER. it's been a qjet/HEI since got it running a few years ago, but swapping in a TBI harness and going to control the timing with ECU. keeping the qjet for now.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i found my throttle body was going full open but only showing 85% in scantool. can't remember the name(s) something todo with gain...
It looks like this one in Scalars, right? In the EBL Calibrations section, it says, this is used to convert the raw TPS value to a percentage so, you can adjust it to 100% just as the throttle fully opens.