My Flat Tappet Cam Wiped Out So I Decided To Go Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got it all buttoned up. Man, the right side header was a B*tch to bolt back up to the Y pipe. Maybe next time (hope there's not gonna be one for a while) I'll tack weld the bolts to the headers. With headers, the dipstick tube has been a challenge to mount, I didn't wanna rely simply on RTV at the block. I remembered I had a long tie strap left over from the header wrap so, I strapped the dipstick tube to the header ;)

You must be registered for see images attach

Then I hooked up my laptop to the EBL, confirmed all sensors were working and started it up. Ran it until the T-Stat opened up, and finished topping it off with the funnel. It took a little over 2 gallons. This is my son's 3rd MATCO funnel so far :biggrin:

Then he disconnected the EST Bypass wire (by the firewall near the trans dipstick tube) and I started it up. It took some cranking, I finally had to give it some throttle to get it started, and had to keep it there to keep it running. The timing was at 5° BTDC, he set it to zero and I shut it off. He hooked the wire back and I started it back up. I still had to keep it running with the throttle. Watching my laptop, I saw the IAC was being commanded up to 100 counts (145 is about wide open) trying to get the idle up to 700 RPM. I had my son turn the min stop screw in 1/4 turn at a time and watched the IAC counts start to come down, we got it down to ~50 before the TPS showed it wasn't at Idle anymore and the RPMs went up to ~1200. He backed it down ~1/8 turn until it showed "At Idle" and "Throttle Closed". The idle went back down to ~700 and IAC at ~50 counts. I may have to go back in and adjust the TPS so I can get the counts down closer to ~10+ At idle his timing light showed it was running ~25° BTDC.

So, we went for a ride to get gas (I put in regular this time). It was OK off the line, good in the middle range (~2000 - 4500), and flattened out on higher end up to 5000 RPM. When I came up to a stop sign, the idle dropped to ~500 before the stall saver kicked in to get it back up to ~700. I think I'm gonna raise the desired idle to ~800.

Now I have some tweaking to do!:rolleyes: I think I'll go back to a calibration from the CD that came with the EBL. Maybe closer to an LS timing table to start and then, VE learn, save, VE Learn, save, rinse and repeat, round off tables, and continue. I saw the Knock Sensor was working when I rapped it up so, I'll work on that too once I get my other tables dialed in better. Right now, the MAP sensor is reading ~60, with my other cam it was ~40 - 45. I had it set to go into Open Loop at idle. IDK if I'll keep it that way or try CL to see what happens.

IMO, a success so far :waytogo:

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bump the timing to 8-10* and match the initial value in the bin for the EBL. With a cam the engine will want more crank timing to keep it from windmilling when it is cold. As for timing the LS is not a great starting point. Something like a F/Y car LT1 is where I would start. Pull ~4° out of it for initial tuning.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bump the timing to 8-10* and match the initial value in the bin for the EBL. With a cam the engine will want more crank timing to keep it from windmilling when it is cold
Is that any better than adjusting the "SA-Startup Choke" and Decay Delay? Does physically bumping the initial timing do anything else?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that pulling timing or adding timing?
Adding timing the colder temps it sees.

Here's a comment from the $42-1227747-V5.9.3.xdf - After reading this, it seems the ECM doesn't add timing until after startup, which may have just answered my question to @L31MaxExpress about "Base Timing". Maybe I do need to add some there too?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Adding timing the colder temps it sees.

Here's a comment from the $42-1227747-V5.9.3.xdf - After reading this, it seems the ECM doesn't add timing until after startup, which may have just answered my question to @L31MaxExpress about "Base Timing". Maybe I do need to add some there too?

That's funny, because the Vortec trucks will pull timing once fired cold in order to light the cats faster. More timing, more better.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that any better than adjusting the "SA-Startup Choke" and Decay Delay? Does physically bumping the initial timing do anything else?
You only get the initial timing during cranking. After it starts, as long as it's at idle, you'll get whatever timing you have set in the Scalar SA-Idle State SA, plus the timing from the Table SA-Startup Choke, plus whatever gets added from the Table SA-Coolant Comp Spark Advance (probably zero unless you've messed with it) since your idle MAP is right at 60, plus or minus whatever timing the computer uses trying to chase your idle speed around with the Tables SA- Idle Low Compensation and SA- Idle High Compensation