My Flat Tappet Cam Wiped Out So I Decided To Go Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will dig one up for you. I am scratching my head as to why you have so little timing at 4,800 rpm. I would try 32-34* at 2,800 rpm from 85+ kpa. Be mindful of the PE Spark Adder. I have also had combinations that wanted full timing advance as low as 2,000-2,400 rpm and yet others that wanted the timing advance slightly retarded at higher rpm. Finally, the ignition control module you are running can greatly alter the actual delivered timing advance.
How about something like this? I'm running the ACDelco D1984A ICM.

You must be registered for see images attach

FYI, I used the spreadsheet developed by @84Elky posted on GearHead-EFI and Third Gen F-Body. Any suggestions?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How about something like this? I'm running the ACDelco D1984A ICM.

FYI, I used the spreadsheet developed by @84Elky posted on GearHead-EFI and Third Gen F-Body. Any suggestions?

Timing looks a bit light in the low RPM cruise area.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing looks a bit light in the low RPM cruise area.
Could be, I'll play with that later. I'm running HiWy Lean Cruise so, I'll be adding SA to it there. Here's how it ran with the old cam. This cam idles at ~50KPA now so, I have some work to do here too :rolleyes:

Attachments

• HiWay MAP.JPG
    HiWay MAP.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 9

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After changing the oil and filter. We warmed it up to full operating temperature and set the initial timing to 10° BTDC and I put it in the .bin. It seems to start and run well. It does have a slight lope to it at idle :waytogo:

I have it running in OL (at idle, CL off idle) with tables flattened out - SA set to 20° from 400 - 800 RPM and VE at 43 from 20 - 60 (I may raise that a little if my AFR doesn't get closer to Stoich). Now, when hot at idle the IAC is ~10+

Now, it's time to Learn VE, data log, tune and so on :biggrin:

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After changing the oil and filter. We warmed it up to full operating temperature and set the initial timing to 10° BTDC and I put it in the .bin. It seems to start and run well. It does have a slight lope to it at idle :waytogo:

I have it running in OL (at idle, CL off idle) with tables flattened out - SA set to 20° from 400 - 800 RPM and VE at 43 from 20 - 60 (I may raise that a little if my AFR doesn't get closer to Stoich). Now, when hot at idle the IAC is ~10+

Now, it's time to Learn VE, data log, tune and so on :biggrin:
More timing at idle will probably smooth out some of the lope and lower your MAP. If you have a heated O2 sensor, you could probably get that to idle in closed loop.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
More timing at idle will probably smooth out some of the lope and lower your MAP. If you have a heated O2 sensor, you could probably get that to idle in closed loop.

If he has a lope, is that too much cam for CL at idle? I've never tuned a big cam before, but at some point don't they begin to lie to the wideband as the semi-burned charge passes right on through?

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At some point, sure, but I don't think 224/224 is that point. He's only 10 KPA off mine and it idles fine in closed loop