My first post... will be a doozy. How do I get wires inside my doors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FOGeologist

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Nick - AKA FOGeologist. I'm a teacher, a geologist, and an earth scientist.

My recently-purchased 1992 regular cab standard bed could sorely use some power accessories. I have installed some cheap n' cheerful fob-operated locks, and am putting the XO Vision aftermarket power window kits in. It's going pretty darned slowly, as I'm getting held up by every technical glitch imaginable (including funding problems, LOL).

I'm about halfway into the job now but have not had any luck figuring how to run wiring through the jamb and into the doors. There is a plug in the door, which I've already cut into for a hole, but no corresponding hole/plug in the door jamb.

Guess I'm going to have to cut one, eh?

Anybody here have any good insights as to how I accomplish this? I do have hole-saws in various sizes. I suspect I will have to go in from the passenger compartment, as I am not going to be taking the door off to get a round hole in the jamb. I will have to go through at least two layers of steel. I am not looking forward to this.

What am I missing?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, door has to come off, easy as driving the hinge pins out. Excellent opportunity to replace the hinge bushings/pins.

I did this same job on my '94 3500HD while I had it blown completely apart. Hole saw will do just fine. Do yourself a favor and boneyard the two rubber bellows that go in the jamb to route the wires through, and measure the cab side hole so you know what size to cut for a proper fit of the bellows. If I recall it may not be the same size at both ends.

Richard