My 97 GMC 1500, A slow progression!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Excessive

Reaction score
So i got this truck aprox, 2 months ago. Its main purpose was daily driver/ mess around in the mud kind of truck. I also dirt bike so this was an added extra that i could throw my bike in the back too!

Anyways onto the plan. Decided i didn't want to go to huge with the lift because i wanted to be a least some what comfy as a DD. So i bought it with 2" leveling kit and 1.5" add a leafs for the rear which are waiting to be installed. A good start i thought.
Pretty much the day after i bought it.
You must be registered for see images

It even came with ride rite air bags in the rear

Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/16

Pretty much the first time i took in near mud, i was very happy that day lol

Anyway, first thing i noticed when i got it was the previous owner hadn't taken the best care of the paint work. You can see the state of the tailgate in an above picture and this one show the fender. Had some bare metal showing.

So i sanded it down, taped it off and primered it

and then that was me done for the night

Dont have a photo of it straight after paint, but i was disappointed because it did not match up, so much for colour match from the parts store!

So drove it like that for a while, pulled the truck tool box out of the back and the ram bar off the front, dont have a photo of this and the old wheels right now but you'll get the idea later on.

Then a guy i work with showed me these on a local classifieds website, 600$ later they were mine :)

Loaded up ready to go to work and start changing them over. Had some rims that the guy gave me with the truck when i bought it so just threw them on those for the moment.

A few hours later and a little out of breath i had them mounted and some what balanced and took a chance to see if i could run them with just a level. Sure thing they fitted like a glove...this isn't far from the truth because theres not a whole lot of clearance lol!

Picture without the Bar on the front

Then i couldn't resist getting it muddy

Another one without the bar

Then i got rid of the side steps..much better!

This photo kind of gives you an idea or what the fender currently looks like with the wrong white but at least theres not metal showing.

Decided after beefing it up a little with the tires i had to do something about the stock exhaust so Flow Master came to the rescue, unfortunately i have no sound clips as of yet. But watch this space i may well do in the future. Went a little the other way as far as the sound i was looking for but i actually like it a lot so i was pleased none the less.

Then after re-installing my wheels one day i find this! My face pretty much dropped, i was more then worried thats for sure. But no worries the shop i work at has a body shop and they said then can weld and plate it for me no problem. Phew!

And this is how she sits today, still got a lot to do
Lastly a few poser shots and a little flexin

Plan now is....
Different rims for the birds
1.25" spacers for rear wheels
2 or 3" Body lift
2" rear blocks (instead of installing add a leafs)
Crank front a little to make it level if need be
Paint tailgate
De-badge
Paint rocker and fenders to match Right side of truck.

Soooo watch this space! :)

Excessive

Reaction score
Sooooo my build plans for the chevy kind of got thrown out when i was offered this.
2001 Dodge Ram 1500, power windows/mirrors, extended cab short box and it sat at the same height as the chevy already.
Weighed up the pro's and cons, As i was getting my lift kit through the shop i work for the only one they could get i was looking at 1600$ for the chevy and living in Canada if i bought the rough country lift kit which was like 900$ after shipping taxes and imports etc id probably be look at 1500$ or so. Dodge had the "Solid Front Axle with Coil springs" from factory which i favoured over the IFS so i took my chances and took it. Yay for Solid Axle lift kits being super cheap :)

So i bought a 3" pro comp lift and put the thornturds on some black steel rims with a 4" BS and voila! I was left with this.

Definitely sad about not having the Chevy any more and not getting to finish my plans but in love with my 'new to me' truck :) Also i work for a Dodge dealership so it seems to suit me a little better. Oh yeah the 318 just isnt the same as the 350 either :( lol so its power time for the dodge lol.