My 88 Shortbed build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oil and gunk must be a helluva rust preventative, that truck looks new. Don't see too many reg cab short beds around here, cool truck.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Looks like a decent starter for $500. good luck on a new motor and you get it rocking again soon

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hosed down the engine with degreaser.
It was super nasty
You must be registered for see images attach

My son, Jared and I attacked the frame and engine compartment with Rustoleum rattle cans. Looks a world better.

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The other engine.

Did a compression and leak down test. Showed blow-by from cyl 3 to 5. I figured it was a blown head gasket - worst case scenario is a cracked head and I have 2 more sets. SO we (my son Jared and I) pulled it down. Here he was using a box for the pushrods

Decided to make something reusable

Took an old drawer and drilled holes in it. Covered the other side in a old metal sign. Everything is numbered. Super easy.

He was pretty proud.

This is the first engine he has ever had apart.

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just like the leakdown test showed head gasket was blown between cyls 3 and 5.

Jared spent all day with the die grinder and scotchbrite wheels and got it all cleaned up.

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgot to update this.

Thursday the machine shop called and said the heads were cracked. NO problem I had another set in the shop. Had to dig them out and send them off.

Forecast is calling for monsoon weather so I figured I needed a dry place to work. The carport is full of tractor stuff so no working there.

Saw an ad on CL for a portable building. Got it up just in time on Sunday. It has rained ever since.

Last night I spent some quality time on Rock Auto ordering parts to put things back together.

BigKahuna

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How well does that building work? Dry inside? Do the sides zip all together? Could you pain in one without dust killing the paint?

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It kept everything dry in the monster rain we had yesterday. I have heard of a lot of people using them for paint booths. One word of advice if you get one - download the instructions off of harbor freights website and read them word for word. I had an old set of instructions that were wrong. I screwed up the assembly. The online instructions are revised.