My 88 Shortbed build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is just one of the many maple tree helicopters that fell out of the bottom end when I pulled the oil pan off. The pan off the junk yard engine got dented. I also found oil bottle cap and foils in the valve covers. Small wonder it smoked. It had been starved for oil. I would imagine the genius that "fixed" the rear main seal with RTV did this to it.

I had to have carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand so things got slowed down a bit. Jared went to AZ to visit his mom so I lost my helper. I recruited my wife to help me set the heads on.

Painted the valve covers

Shot the oil pan
I am not overly happy with how this came out. I may strip it down and do it again.

2KGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great find for the price. If I was just a little closer I'd come down and give ya hand.

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great find for the price. If I was just a little closer I'd come down and give ya hand.
I wish someone would. Cleaning the threads on all those hole and and installing the heads has my hand killing me. Had to skip working on it today.

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More paint
In between working on the wifes truck I managed to shoot a couple of coats of paint on the engine.

Even more Black paint

Orange paint!
Yes I panted over the gasket surfaces. I will be quicker to buzz it off with the scotch brite wheel than worry with the tape.

Even shot the magnet
Stupid thing keeps getting lost no matter where we put it. Should be a bit easier to find.

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got out last night when it was cooler and worked on the engine till about 1am. With doctors restrictions on my hand it was a bit hard to do my myself. Got the rockers, pushrods, and timing chain on. No adjustments yet.

I flipped it over and installed the oil pump

Then I needed the accessory drive off the old engine.

Black is beautiful

Painted the Exhaust

Putting the lineless clothes line to use

Intake and other parts clean and painted

Bottom of breather. First coat.

I painted the distributor hold down orange instead of black because it is always impossible to see when it is all the same color.

When I started to paint the lid it fell into the grass. I hosed it down with oven cleaner to strip it again.

Garagamahal?

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like an engine
I wrenched my back trying to rotate the full dressed 350 on the stand. I also had Carpal Tunnel surgery so thing have been slow. Today I hobbled around like the hunchback of Notre Dame. Adjusted valves, and installed timing cover, harmonic balance, intake, and valve covers. The gasket set I bought was the only one in stock and it was opened. They marked it on the receipt, Discovered a missing EGR gasket today. I was hurting so it was time to stop anyhow. Wife ran down to get the gasket.

Spooky
Finally the truck has a name, The wife said the black and orange looked like halloween. You can also barely see where I made the timing marks more visible with white paint. I painted over it with a white paint pen then gently wiped it off so it left paint in the letters. Spooky is barley visable in person.

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Moving day.

I hooked the mobile crane to the Falcon and moved the bad engine out. I have taken all the parts off of it that I am going to. Then I moved Spooky (LOL) over to the middle where it is easier to work on. Less clutter in the tent now.

I got a little more done last night. It was late and I was drenched in sweat and I forgot to take any pics.

Last edited: