My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What tuner lets you turn off cylinders and stuff? HP?

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As i figured. New springs did not change a thing but here is a log for anyone to look at. Lots of misfires when cold and warming up for the first 5 minutes or so.
Near the end you can see the misfires are WAY better, as usual.
Also near the end you can when i disabled each injector.
Im sure the #7 misfire is not valves, Ignition im still not positive about but it is all new, Injector balance test is good. Running drop test i can feel each one drop when commanded off. I can see the RPM drop and i can feel the induced misfire.
You will need to rename the file 9-8-23 Log.hpl

To get misfires the crank speed is measured and each cylinder makes the crank turn a fraction faster when firing. If the ecu does not see the slight rpm increase like it should it assumes misfire.
So just shooting blind as nothing has cured the problem.
Let's say for instance the machine shop who sold me a different crank as mine was shot and installed a internal balanced crank when mine was a external balance.
I can see the out of balance causing the crank to not have that minute rpm increase the ecu is looking for at the proper time idling.
Sometimes it does feel like a balance problem when slowing down coming to a stop but not when driving holding a steady speed.
Im not sure how it would feel out of balance having the external balance crank pulley and flex plate on a internal balance crank.
I know for a fact what a 350 flex plate feels like on a 400 sbc and It's nothing like that.
The crank pulley was new and appears to be the correct one matching it to pics on the internet for a correct Vortec 454 but the flex plate was the original one.

Attachments

• 9-8-23 Log.txt
    838.7 KB · Views: 3

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm planning to change valve springs in an attempt to fix a 4000+ WOT misfire. Expecting similar results.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This on your 1500? If so, I would expect it to work. Mine was floating valves at 4,500.

It is, I figure positively charged air on the back side of the intake valve isn't helping them out at all. And now that I've logged my calculated torque and created calculated hp, I rev the thing clear to 5500 instead of the factory 5100.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is, I figure positively charged air on the back side of the intake valve isn't helping them out at all. And now that I've logged my calculated torque and created calculated hp, I rev the thing clear to 5500 instead of the factory 5100.

A number of years ago when I ran the 395/1.6 rocker and stock spring setup on the dyno. The springs lost the battle entirely at ~5,100 rpm. The fact you can rev higher with boost amazes me. The Blue pull was the bonehead operating the dyno tried to pull in 3rd and hit the speed limiter I had programmed to keep the driveshaft in it. Difference between the Red and Green pull was engine heat and the duramax fan blade pulling power when the clutch locked in. The dips at 4,500 and 4,800 were valvetrain. After swapping springs and retainers the graphs were much smoother and higher even down at 3,000 rpm. The graphs do not cross at 5250 because the HP and TQ are on different scales. I had the tune set to start in 2nd gear with the shifter in 2md and lock the converter at about 20 mph, but the guy running the dyno refused to listen and insisted it would downshift if he flat footed it at 20 mph too. I wanted the torque numbers from ~1,500 rpm.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As i figured. New springs did not change a thing but here is a log for anyone to look at. Lots of misfires when cold and warming up for the first 5 minutes or so.
Near the end you can see the misfires are WAY better, as usual.
Also near the end you can when i disabled each injector.
Im sure the #7 misfire is not valves, Ignition im still not positive about but it is all new, Injector balance test is good. Running drop test i can feel each one drop when commanded off. I can see the RPM drop and i can feel the induced misfire.
You will need to rename the file 9-8-23 Log.hpl

To get misfires the crank speed is measured and each cylinder makes the crank turn a fraction faster when firing. If the ecu does not see the slight rpm increase like it should it assumes misfire.
So just shooting blind as nothing has cured the problem.
Let's say for instance the machine shop who sold me a different crank as mine was shot and installed a internal balanced crank when mine was a external balance.
I can see the out of balance causing the crank to not have that minute rpm increase the ecu is looking for at the proper time idling.
Sometimes it does feel like a balance problem when slowing down coming to a stop but not when driving holding a steady speed.
Im not sure how it would feel out of balance having the external balance crank pulley and flex plate on a internal balance crank.
I know for a fact what a 350 flex plate feels like on a 400 sbc and It's nothing like that.
The crank pulley was new and appears to be the correct one matching it to pics on the internet for a correct Vortec 454 but the flex plate was the original one.

Unfortunately I can't read it. I'm too far behind on software updates to open it.

Honestly after all of the EPA charges against that one diesel tuning company they may be locking things down with what you can/can't do with tuning software soon.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what little i know about HPTuners the current rev is good but you need to past a test to get it unlocked. Not hard if i could pass it.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't read it. I'm too far behind on software updates to open it.

Honestly after all of the EPA charges against that one diesel tuning company they may be locking things down with what you can/can't do with tuning software soon.
I've had a feeling that's been coming for a while, I need to check my tune to make sure my EGR is still disabled. All of this is so annoying but it's the government so I shouldn't be surprised.
-------------------
I know the cam gear on the distributor has been discussed, but what about the gear on the cam itself? Didn't you swap cams at some point?