My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it had a new Comp Cams "rv" style cam. Advertised as Computer compatible. Made no difference.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what little i know about HPTuners the current rev is good but you need to past a test to get it unlocked. Not hard if i could pass it.
It's not, but why should I do it if everything's fine?

I've had stability issues writing after software updates. I keep the installation package for every version but unfortunately was taken by surprise when my firmware got upgraded also for my interface module.

At least those with newer software can read my tunes, but I can't do anything with theirs.

However, I do have an idea for creating another virtual machine so I can just keep separate versions of HP tuners handy.... I just have to motivate myself to do it.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have most of the older versions of hp tuners, but reading newer tunes or with updated firmware does not work with older ones. 4.10 still seem to work with most new things

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's not, but why should I do it if everything's fine?

I've had stability issues writing after software updates. I keep the installation package for every version but unfortunately was taken by surprise when my firmware got upgraded also for my interface module.

At least those with newer software can read my tunes, but I can't do anything with theirs.

However, I do have an idea for creating another virtual machine so I can just keep separate versions of HP tuners handy.... I just have to motivate myself to do it.

The software and firmware need to be on the same page so I'm not seeing how you can make that work.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a desktop off the internet with Universal Patcher, PCM Hammer and TunerProRT on it just in case. Same computer also has TunerCats OBD2 loaded up.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The software and firmware need to be on the same page so I'm not seeing how you can make that work.
Behold:

I receive a tune I cannot open as it's too new. Open VM with newer software, open file.

I receive a file from a newer version with a table I want. Open in appropriate VM, copy table into Excel. Export file to main machine, copy-paste to older version.

What situation were you imagining I could not use it?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Behold:

I receive a tune I cannot open as it's too new. Open VM with newer software, open file.

I receive a file from a newer version with a table I want. Open in appropriate VM, copy table into Excel. Export file to main machine, copy-paste to older version.

What situation were you imagining I could not use it?

Flashing.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Software versions of a previously used pc do not restrict you from using a PC with an older version to download, or upload.

The interface and what you are allowed to see/do with the ECU may change with the software version, but they cannot hard-code the ECU differently besides tune-locking via a key. Same like I can put a tune in with HP tuners and pull it out with EFI-live or any other software.

Besides, if the person has sent me the tune, they can likely write the tune in while copying tables or values from a screenshot.

Even still, if I have extra credits I can still flash through a VM... it's how I use Techstream with my Lexus so it doesn't break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf