TBI rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There has to be "something" for the spring to seat against. There's the stamped-sheetmetal spring seat like you've got pictured.

There's also a cast-zinc version. There may be other kinds as well.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thank you. I’m going to continue work on this tbi unit tomorrow, I think the problem lies in the regulator

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still think you need to connect a scan tool and verify all the sensors and computer outputs.

Wouldn't hurt to check the usual "tune-up" items--distributor cap, rotor, plug wire, plugs, initial timing, PCV system operation, fuel filter, fuel pressure, etc.
Definitely should, I’m looking into getting a ALDL to USB for tunerprort for live data

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
are the injectors from the original TBI? have you checked fuel pressure?
Injectors are not original, and have a good cone spray. Fuel pressure should be fine, as before I rebuilt this tbi literally 2 days ago it ran, and the pump is less than 6 months old.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There has to be "something" for the spring to seat against. There's the stamped-sheetmetal spring seat like you've got pictured.

Also the regulator I have in it now may not have a seat at all, there was nothing in there. I just put the spring inside of it with the set screw. That may be my problem…. I’m going to put the stamped steel seat regulator in tomorrow.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is why i asked about fuel pressure, if the stackup is wrong in the regulator it could result in too high or too low pressure

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a good picture of the circle piece I’m talking about
Without that spring seat in there your fuel pressure is going to be way low. Use the spring and housing that went with that seat and you should be close to correct pressure. Pressure testing after rebuilding the injector pod is crucial. TunerPro can't read fuel pressure,you will have to do that with a mechanical gauge.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey shurk,
Did you push up the bottom of that spring housing to raise the pressure adjustment range?

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, it’s all fixed now :) the mismatching regulator cap with the spring was the problem and it wasn’t getting enough fuel to consistently run because of it! Matched up the cap and spring and she runs like a gem.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey shurk,
Did you push up the bottom of that spring housing to raise the pressure adjustment range?
The regulator with the cast-zinc piece is destroyed, visible in the photos above, and another below. The bottom broke out of it when I tried to make it "adjustable".

I wrecked another one, different style, also trying to make it "adjustable".

In the end, I stretched the spring, and put a washer or three on the spring seat to jack the pressure up a bit. Not adjustable, but pressure increased.