My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just now remembered reading about someone having a misfire issue and crank relearn and cmp were actually part of the problem.
He did something had the crank relearn redone and set cmp and misfire was gone. If only i could find it again it might help.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just now remembered reading about someone having a misfire issue and crank relearn and cmp were actually part of the problem.
He did something had the crank relearn redone and set cmp and misfire was gone. If only i could find it again it might help.
Might have been me? My CMP was just a few degrees off, like 4-5, once I swapped the dist gear 180* I was able to get to +/- 2.0*. Did the relearn after that and problem appears to be gone.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it was you.
Who ever it was had done a crank relearn and had a misfire problem. Did something and had the relearn redone and misfire cured.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I don't think so. Remember them saying the crank relearn had somehow learned the misfire.
They had to fix/change something then get another crank relearn done.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the way home from work today got a few blocks from my house and starting hearing a weird little tinny ticking noise and thought EFFN He11 now what.
Only when above about 1500 rpm. Get in the driveway and open the hood and cant see anything wrong. Grab the throttle cable and give it some gas and the AC clutch starts trying to engage. Odd and i could repeat it every time pulling on the throttle cable. Unplugged the AC clutch power plug, grabbed the multimeter and checked for power. With AC, heat off.
I get 0.012V idling, around 1.5K to 2k rpm it will get to 2.50 V (ish) and that's when the clutch starts trying to engage. Above about 2.5K rpm the meter says OL, open circuit?

New problem or the first real clue to the problem?
Never noticed it until today and today was the first day i had the DR window down driving in the neighborhood with heater off.
This will be interesting to figure out but a real PITA for me as im not a wiring guy at all!
Where to start?

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not to question your work at all, but, since you have repined the harness back forth from the pcm, I would suggest you get a couple sets of electricians wire labels from Lowe's, home Depot or wherever, and mark every wire on the harness with it's circuit number from your pin out, just to make sure everything is correct there. That's where I would start.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bad ground, messed up wiring harness, or the pinning was not done well. Bad ground or harness crunched/ate sounds more likely with your misfire situation and now fickle AC signal. Check the fuse for it? The clutch is controlled by the engine ECU, he also adjusts timing if he knows he is commanded on. Now, the clutch can also be demanded on by the HVAC controls in the cab. Did you have your AC turned on in the cab?

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AC was off. I plan on checking the pins on ecu for sure but I don't think that's the problem. Old engine ran perfect.
All started when rebuilt engine was installed but something is definitely wrong with wiring. Now I think I need to figure that out first.
Going to call around and see if I can get the crank relearn done today.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I feel like I already brought this up, but I'll do it again: did you pay attention to the EGR wiring instructions? Is it plugged in?