My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
last time I checked it was $20. I just went on with my e38 ecu swap instead anyway. Getting pinout for the year of ecu and 411 ecu should be sufficient to get started

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The second machinist should have asked you to supply the pistons with the block, and I think some machinists are too used to dealing with guys who know their routine.

You certainly don't want a machinist to just bore it .060" over. About two years ago I had a block machined, and when I tried to endgap the rings they came up with a tad too much gap. I measured the bores and they were all 4.033" When I asked the machinist about it, he pulled out a micrometer and showed me that my pistons were all exactly 4.030" instead of the normal 4.027" diameter. He bored the block specifically to match my pistons. I don't have a 355, I have a 356!

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, things have changes since the last time i rebuilt a engine about 25 years ago. Was a ford 429,4V.
Just dropped the block off and told them what i wanted. Week later i had the bare block back. Got it back together and my grandfather drove that 1969 Merc Marquis for years without a single problem.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I have ever known, the only time they will bore a block without your pistons, is if they are supplying the pistons. I am surprised they didn't say anything when you dropped it off though.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Comp Cams Ultra Magnum barely fit, but not with lock nuts that they supply. I ended up raising my valve covers

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you raise the covers and keep the locks supplied or raise them with shorter locks?

I used locks that were supplied. Which made the need to raise the covers. Initially was planning to get shorter ones, but was faster to raise the valve covers.