My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget you will need a transmission controller if you switch to carb.
Yup. it will be this one.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well here is what's happening up to this point.
The first machine shop i took it to down the block had not touched it in about a month so i got it back from them and took it to a different place a couple of guys recommended at work.
Told them to do the usual machine work and cleaning and bore it .060 over. Ok go!
after about another month i called thinking it should be getting close to done and it turns out they had done nothing as they were waiting for me to drop off the pistons so the block could be bored to match the new pistons. CR@(!!
I do not recall then saying that but they would not bore it without pistons.
So when i tried to order what i wanted i found everything out of stock at Summet and Jegs. Did some searching and just could not find what i wanted for a reasonable price + shipping.
Called the machine shop and after a couple phone calls and discussions it was settled on how to proceed and now here is what is happening.

Bore is .030 over. It really did not need bored though.
Line bore as the #3 main bearing was out of round as i suspected from how beat the bearing was.
surface block. Not really needed but a few thousands off will not hurt and now is for sure flat.
My crank shaft was shot. He has a good std size one he is selling me for $100 bucks.
Recondition my rods with new bolts
New cast pistons.
New cam/ lifters slightly better than stock performance. My cam had two bad lobes
He will be assembling my short block.
Probably something else im forgetting to mention for the block.

The heads were recently rebuilt but.
The guides will be cut to allow more lift.
7/16 screw in studs
New seals
New springs without rotators.
Surface heads. Again not needed but they will be flat and a few thousands won't hurt a thing.
Cleaning up the heads for a little better flow but nothing too drastic.

I'll be installing the heads and everything else.
We are shooting for about 9.4:1 compression ratio. After all it's a daily driver and i need to run pump gas
Scorpion Roller rockers, maybe a different brand but not cheap ebay ones
30 LB injectors. Should be way more than adequate
Will probably need new push rods to get the geometry right but i have no idea yet till i can measure
With better flow and a slightly larger cam and larger injectors ill need to get a tune from Black Bare but i can't do that till i have it about done so i know all the numbers they might want for a base tune and get me to their place for a live tuning session.

So things took a left turn and im getting a slightly better than stock rebuild.
Im pretty sure ill have it back the week after next FINALLY!

Anyway to make a long post even longer here is the current long term plan if anyone is interested.
Once the engine is changed out i will rebuild the current 454 in my truck the way i wanted to do it.
Part of the problem is time. The parts i wanted are not expected to be in stock till mid October and i simply can't wait that long. I need to have this done before the weather turns bad as im doing it in my backyard.
I have another OOBS 1991 Suburban project i need to start that happens to need a engine with a perfect rust/dent free body but with BAD paint. It has a TB 5.7.
I do have sitting in the garage a 80k mile TB5.7 that i know for a fact is good. I removed it. Now im thinking the OOBS needs a 454. FK It just never ends once you start!

My current engine is getting noisier in the bottom end and oil pressure is down to about 5 psi hot idle. I drive this like a 80yo granny going two blocks to church on Sunday morning.
Sorry for the long post but that's where this project is at right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20211016_095853013.jpg
    IMG_20211016_095853013.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 10

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That suburban looks like it's asking for a BBC.
If you are willing to learn, you would be dollars ahead swapping in an 0411 and tuning with open source tools.

They have come a long way in the last couple years. Check out Universal Patcher.

And you would also gain a tow haul function.

Last edited:

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would 0411 swap it if i had the exact pinout diagram. I have looked and can't find one.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also he asks that you don't share it because of the differences between years, and doesn't want people to have problems. Have you tried Emailing him? He is on this forum, The Hp Forum, and a few others I have seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJost