My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not have stock junk injectors. I have 5 o motorsports injectors that are less than a year old and would not be considered junk. However, i may need new injectors for more flow if i go with a 496 rebuild.
The heads #10141279 and considered ok for a street use with better or worse heads being available.
I have read several articles that state the heads are great for building torque up to 5k rpm then die off fast as they were designed to do. The head has high swirl and a fast burn 100cc chamber.
Im not going to be racing the motor.
It will be in a Suburban that tows a 25ft cruiser style boat, Trailer with a Bobcat or a trailer with a load of logs and a daily driver. Im after low end torque.
As it stands the pre programmed pedal to the floor shift points work fine for me so i don't see them changing either.

After reading a lot of articles and forums here is what my initial plan is
.060 bore over stock.
496 stroker kit.
HV oil pump
Pretty much takes care of the bottom end

Stock Vortec heads with better spring pressure springs and ditch the spring rotators. Adjustable 7/16 studs and roller rockers.
Find a cam that makes power from idle to 5k rpm
Figure out what injectors i might need.
Get in touch with Black bear and find out the easiest way to get my truck tuned for the new engine.

This could change a little as i would like to run a carb setup if i can find a easy plug and play way to keep all the dash gauges working and control the 4L80E transmission. Need more research!!
If those 5-0 injectors are 30lb, you will probably be just fine. I had Delta Camshaft in Tacoma, WA regrind my stock cam to a better profile. It was $140 shipped to my door and only took a week.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they are 19Lb a hour. I do understand i will need new injectors if this turns into a 496 among other things.
Block is at the machine shop. Probably will not hear back from them till next week sometime on what's needed and cost.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here is what i have decided to do at this point. Most will hate it im sure, but one or two will like it and it is what im going to do.
I still do have a idea what's up with the block as i have not heard from the machine shop yet.
If you don't like carburetors stop reading now.
I live in North Idaho, No emissions and if you have seen some of the POS things driving around here you would understand why i really don't care. I'm not about to pay for a tune every time i change something nor am i gonna buy the stuff to do it and learn it. So,
I'm getting a Edelbrock Performer intake and a 750cfm Edelbrock carb unless i can find a good rebuildable Quadrajet
Headers will be long tube if i can find a set, short will work but not ideal. True dual exhaust with a X or H pipe, Not sure what's better.
I will use a couple high flow universal cat's though. The exhaust shop owner is a shirt tail relation and will do that for me.
Not sure what cam yet but i want the rpm range from about 1k to 5k so need to look for one that fits the need.
I'll be using a GM HEI ignition and not needing a crank sensor i'll grab a double roller timing chain and a new crank pulley as neither of mine are in good shape and i think will not work with the planned timing chain.
Heads, ill probably stay with the Vortec style as they make great power and torque to about 5K rpm from everything i have read and this engine will never see anything above that.
Roller rockers and will use the 7/16 conversion studs. Heads will also get new higher seat pressure springs.
Between friends i have and the used parts i have access to i can get this done for around $3500.
Controlling the trans will be a US Shift trans controller.
It's gonna be slow to start as the machine shop said expect it to be at least 4 weeks as this is the busy time of year.
The other thing to figure out is how to keep the factory gauges working.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Those of us who'll tell you to keep it injected don't give a rat's ass about emissions. Getting it tuned is less work than converting to a carb.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those of us who'll tell you to keep it injected don't give a rat's ass about emissions. Getting it tuned is less work than converting to a carb.
For me and me only converting to a carb is my personal choice. Others have a different choice or opinion. That's what makes this fun!
I grew up with carbs and i still like em. I rebuild 2 or 3 a year for friends or strangers. I do know carbs very well. I like tuning them, I like reading spark plugs, I like playing with timing and advance curves and i would not like driving 40 miles a couple of times a month to pay someone to try a different tune.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know very little about cams and all the specs make it seem like witchcraft.
Talking to a couple of guys at work that seem to be more in tune with the cam witchcraft world they said look for something close to this for my needs.
214, 224, 112. I did not think to clarify but im guessing that 214int, 224ex, 112 lsa.
I think with a million different cam choices choosing just one will gimme a headache.
What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know very little about cams and all the specs make it seem like witchcraft.
Talking to a couple of guys at work that seem to be more in tune with the cam witchcraft world they said look for something close to this for my needs.
214, 224, 112. I did not think to clarify but im guessing that 214int, 224ex, 112 lsa.
I think with a million different cam choices choosing just one will gimme a headache.
What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
Call Delta Camshaft in Tacoma, WA. Tell them what you have, what you want to do, and ask them for their opinions. They can regrind your stock camshaft to whatever you want and ship it back to you. They have been in business for a very long time and have a good reputation. They did my cam and had it back to me in two weeks for my L29.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today i was changing all AC rubber hoses and a new pump, condenser, Dryer. When i bumped a heater hose.
Turns out the valve and both plastic T connectors were rotten! I think the only thing that was holding them together was the hoses.
Anyway about $100 bucks later the under hood heater parts are all new.

Attachments

• IMG_20220618_165016254.jpg
    IMG_20220618_165016254.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 19