My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea about miles.
The heads were rebuilt not long ago from the looks of em.
The block is totally stock. The bearings are original GM as well as the pistons.

If i go 496 this is what i will probably use but there are a ton of other questions first.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the crank out today and as suspected the bearings are shot. #2 is beat to death but i could not find any induction that it spun.
Surprisingly the crank end play was .007

Attachments

• IMG_20220607_170726585.jpg
    IMG_20220607_170726585.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220607_170723984.jpg
    IMG_20220607_170723984.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220607_170719881.jpg
    IMG_20220607_170719881.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 38

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the crank out today and as suspected the bearings are shot. #2 is beat to death but i could not find any induction that it spun.
Surprisingly the crank end play was .007
When you get new bearings, just get the correct Gen VI main bearings for position 1 and 5 from chevrolet performance. They are different for a Gen VI and I couldn't find the correct ones from an aftermarket manufacturer. Positions 2,3,4 are the same bearing and identical to the Mark IV and Gen V standard sizes, but 1 nd 5 are not. If you use a standard BBC bearing in those positions they will be out of tolerance when you check them.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Ill make sure i get the correct bearings. Might just have the machine shop order them for me. They should know what to get for proper fit.
Still not sure what im doing with it yet. Have to get it to the machine shop friday so they can tell me what it needs then i will decide what im doing.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a machine shop order bearings set for a bit later gen 6 bbc and all clearances checked out fine.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the bores will clean up with just a hone job ill probably just give it a standard rebuild.
If it needs to be bored i might as well just go .060 over because that a few more cubic inches and that never a bad thing.

If i want to go with a 496 stroker kit what will i need to do for fuel. Is the stock FI system enough.
Will i need to get a tune just to get it started? I do plan on getting a tune after it is running and broke in.
I guess the real only negative for me going 496 is needing to upgrade the FI system Kind of a PITA as i don't have a clue what i would need but doable i guess.
The real hard and scary part is tuning the ECM. I have no clue how to do it. Buying the stuff and learning how takes hundreds of dollars and who knows how long to learn.
I live about 40 miles from black bear and i can sure set up a live tuning appointment but will it even run to get there without damaging the new engine?
I can not be with out my truck for more than a week or two at the most once i start taking it apart after the rebuilt engine is ready to go in.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stock heads are marginal on a 454. I would not stroke it without planning to replace the heads. Throw those stock injectors away immediately - they're complete junk. Since you're replacing them anyway, you can size them to match the new displacement/power. You would be wise to use a larger fuel pump if you stroke it, but could probably get away with the stock one. Once you have the specs nailed down Black Bear can put a tune on the box that will get you to him.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a machine shop order bearings set for a bit later gen 6 bbc and all clearances checked out fine.
That's the key, make sure the machine shop gets them specifically for Gen VI. Mine ordered standard BBC bearings and 2,3,4 were fine, while 1 and 5 were not. Both the bearing clearance and thrust were off when I went to assemble it, which was when I figured out they ordered the wrong parts.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not have stock junk injectors. I have 5 o motorsports injectors that are less than a year old and would not be considered junk. However, i may need new injectors for more flow if i go with a 496 rebuild.
The heads #10141279 and considered ok for a street use with better or worse heads being available.
I have read several articles that state the heads are great for building torque up to 5k rpm then die off fast as they were designed to do. The head has high swirl and a fast burn 100cc chamber.
Im not going to be racing the motor.
It will be in a Suburban that tows a 25ft cruiser style boat, Trailer with a Bobcat or a trailer with a load of logs and a daily driver. Im after low end torque.
As it stands the pre programmed pedal to the floor shift points work fine for me so i don't see them changing either.

After reading a lot of articles and forums here is what my initial plan is
.060 bore over stock.
496 stroker kit.
HV oil pump
Pretty much takes care of the bottom end

Stock Vortec heads with better spring pressure springs and ditch the spring rotators. Adjustable 7/16 studs and roller rockers.
Find a cam that makes power from idle to 5k rpm
Figure out what injectors i might need.
Get in touch with Black bear and find out the easiest way to get my truck tuned for the new engine.

This could change a little as i would like to run a carb setup if i can find a easy plug and play way to keep all the dash gauges working and control the 4L80E transmission. Need more research!!