My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comp Cams Ultra Magnum barely fit, but not with lock nuts that they supply. I ended up raising my valve covers
Been looking at them.
Do you think they would fit with short poly locks? My cam will be near stock lift.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been looking at them.
Do you think they would fit with short poly locks? My cam will be near stock lift.
With low profile locks it should fit. The tall locks that it came with were the only interference

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been watching your progress. You were going to post a vid with you having some fun with it?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what roller rockers will fit under the stock valve covers with short Poly Locks?
Comp "Pro Magnum" for me. This was long enough ago that they didn't have the current "Ultra Pro Magnum" line yet.

Needed two valve cover gaskets to lift the covers a little. Beyond that, I don't know why any roller rockers wouldn't fit.

The L29/Vortec heads I used had valve rotators under every spring. I needed two sets of eight valve rotator eliminator shims. Beware the fit of the eliminator shims on the intake valve guides. Two intake guides on each head needed to have the guide/spring pocket radius touched-up to get the eliminator shims to sit flat. Exhaust guides weren't a problem since they're pressed-in instead of being part of the head casting like the intakes.

I used the simple 'n' easy conversion rocker studs so that the rocker stud holes in the head didn't have to be drilled oversize and tapped.

It was probably a mistake to have had the block decked before you selected a rotating assembly. Now, when you measure deck clearance and the pistons are way down in the hole, you'll need to have it zero-decked. Could have been one operation, now you'll pay twice. Or...you'll pay extra for thin head gaskets. I'd deck the block, and use regular gaskets. But that's me.

DO NOT use the Mr Gasket steel shim head gaskets on the Vortec heads. There's a place or two where the gasket just barely seals the coolant passages.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The machine shop is assembling the short block and he is rebuilding the heads. He does know i want to end up around 9.4:1 compression.