My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ACDelco is my recommendation, the Delphi that replaced my original at 108k miles, lasted 7k miles. left me stranded way out in the back country.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New AcDelco pump ordered.
The old pump would idle at 45psi but under wot would drop to 37ish.
This should fix the fuel pressure problem. and hopefully the rough idle slight miss problem.
If it does not fix it the only thing i can think of to do next would be to put the original GM cam back in it. Maybe pull the heads and have a good look at them.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
New AcDelco pump ordered.
The old pump would idle at 45psi but under wot would drop to 37ish.
This should fix the fuel pressure problem. and hopefully the rough idle slight miss problem.
If it does not fix it the only thing i can think of to do next would be to put the original GM cam back in it. Maybe pull the heads and have a good look at them.

I had a pump do the exact same thing in a 454 truck I flipped, but when I dead headed it the pressure didn't rise any. Had a good used pump on the shelf and it fixed me right up.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine will rise to 80psi if i deadhead it. I don't think mine is pushing enough volume to hold pressure.
Also here is the on log i could get and its a snap shot.
You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Mine would drop pressure free revving, didn't even need to be moving. In your log I don't see knock retard. . . are you still on the black box? If so switch back to the 411. Of the 2 that's more likely to have better support.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The black box does not seem to report knock retard.
I don't really want to put the 0411 back in yet as i don't want to introduce more potential problems.
With either ecu on the old engine it did idle perfect and never a miss. Problems started with the new engine and i still suspect a bad cam.
Once the fuel pressure is fixed it's about all that's left. I have checked or replaced about everything else!