My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run 89 octane always. I would have thought at anything above about 3500rpm timing would be between 30 and 34ish advanced.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I run 89 octane always. I would have thought at anything above about 3500rpm timing would be between 30 and 34ish advanced.

No, they don't like as much timing as a small block, but they do like more than 14. As L31 pointed out, I can run more timing up here, but I don't recall what I gave it. High 20s seems to ring a bell.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never knew that. If it had a normal hei i would have been trying for it.
Thanks!

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My latest theory on my misfire issue.
It's almost like a dead miss when cold but hot it is nearly gone, So
Having low fuel pressure (45 psi) the fuel pump can not supply the required fuel to enrichin enough when cold resulting in a lot of misfires and rough idle.
When fully warmed up the misfires are nearly gone because less fuel is required. It is still not quite enough though and i can still feel the slight miss.
Might be why my LTFT is and around +3.0 or higher and the STFT is +0.2 to -1.2
I think i have narrowed it down to cylinder #4 as the worst offender for the miss. If i do not seat the plug wire all the onto the spark plug the miss is for sure a lot less. I have tried a different new plug with same results.
I sure hope the new AcDelco fuel pump fixes it but im not holding out much hope. With any luck at all i'll find out this weekend.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well as luck would have it tomorrow i get to change my power steering gear.
When i started it today the power steering pump was whining and when i checked the fluid it was empty. Filled it up and started it up. Looking around and it has a steady stream out the bottom of the gear.
I need to drive it to work Monday so i could not wait for a red/blue top. Got one at Orilley's for $178 with a lifetime warranty. Hope it lasts at least a year.