Moving rear axle forward

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinason

Reaction score
I have a 96 1 ton crew long box that i want to make a short box. How hard is it to move the rear axle forward to accept the short box? Its either I do this or extend the frame on my 95 extended cab, im looking for the best and easiest and safest method between the 2. So moving axle forward on the 1 ton seems my best bet. Any input would be appreciated!

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Either way you're going to have to cut and mod the frame. "Safer" would probably be to shorten the longer one. I imagine there's a lot more to this though than just shortening the frame and sitting a smaller bed down onto the truck.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't believe you can shorten the frames on GMT400 like you can with the square trucks. I think the closest w/b to a CCSB is a ECLB, even then have to move the mounts some, but it's not a lot. I wanna say the differences between the two is where the frame curves up behind the cab. You might be able to get the frame section from a short box and graft it on....

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the aim here - shorter truck or to utilise the short box?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, old thread. I was thinking OP was some city high school kid trying to be cool.

I don't understand the whole chopped, bagged s#@%t. People take perfectly functional trucks meant for work and ruin them just to look cool. I bet those trucks live in depression for the rest of their lives, dreaming of how they used tow/haul stuff. You know, like in the movie, Cars.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Damned useless lowered trucks.

You must be registered for see images attach

That's a (former?) member's, here. ^^^